Lion on USB

Reaction score
Howdy Folks!

Cliff notes:
Can I use the USB Lion upgrade to go from Tiger to Lion (hardware is Lion compatible of course)

Long story:
I've had an iMac for a little over a year, so I'm not entirely new to the Apple world, but I have this dilemma.

Earlier this year I inherited an older Macbook Pro from my Mom. It's a Core2duo and all that good stuff (don't remember the exact specs but I've checked and it's Lion compatible), but it came with Tiger. I actually believe it fell in that window of getting the free Leopard upgrade, but of course my Mom didn't pursue it (possibly didn't even know about it).

Back when I first got it, I looked into upgrading to Snow Leopard. At the time the standard "accepted" way was to buy the $100+ service pack to upgrade from Tiger. Apparently using the $29.99 disk was some kind of terms of service no-no when upgrading from Tiger. Well, I ended up dragging my feet and now the Apple store doesn't even sell the expensive, "correct" option. So I figure screw it, I'll just go with the $29.99 upgrade disc.

I went to an Apple store, they said I'd have to order it online. I put the order in this past weekend, and looking at my cart the ship date isn't until mid September. Since I was thinking of eventually going to Lion anyways, is it possible to go directly from Tiger to Lion using the USB drive option? I've done a fair amount of googling, and I've only really found speculation back before the USB drive was actually released.

I realize it is still $10 more expensive than buying the Snow Leopard upgrade and then downloading Lion, but the time saved would be worth it to me.

Thanks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2018 15" MBP, 2019 11" iPad Pro, iPhone 11 Pro
According to everything I've read on Apple's site and in the Mac App Store, having SL 10.6.6 - 10.6.8 on your Mac is a requirement to move to Lion. I seriously doubt it is even possible to make the jump from Tiger to Lion even if you wanted to. OS X Lion USB Thumb Drive - Apple Store (U.S.)

From the OS X Lion Software License Agreement at the bottom of that page I linked to:
The OS X Lion Software License Agreement allows you to install and use the software for your personal, non-commercial use on all the Macs you own or control that are running Mac OS X Snow Leopard or Snow Leopard Server (a Mac Computer). Commercial enterprises or educational institutions can install and use one copy of the software for use either a) by a single individual on each Mac Computer that the enterprise or educational institution owns or controls, or b) by multiple individuals on a single shared Mac Computer that the enterprise or educational institution owns or controls (for example, in a resource center or library). You can also use the software in accordance with the terms of a volume or maintenance license (purchased separately). Full license terms can be found at Apple - Legal.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
mbp 15 2009, mbp 13 2010
Howdy Folks!

Cliff notes:
Can I use the USB Lion upgrade to go from Tiger to Lion (hardware is Lion compatible of course)

Long story:
I've had an iMac for a little over a year, so I'm not entirely new to the Apple world, but I have this dilemma.

Earlier this year I inherited an older Macbook Pro from my Mom. It's a Core2duo and all that good stuff (don't remember the exact specs but I've checked and it's Lion compatible), but it came with Tiger. I actually believe it fell in that window of getting the free Leopard upgrade, but of course my Mom didn't pursue it (possibly didn't even know about it).

Back when I first got it, I looked into upgrading to Snow Leopard. At the time the standard "accepted" way was to buy the $100+ service pack to upgrade from Tiger. Apparently using the $29.99 disk was some kind of terms of service no-no when upgrading from Tiger. Well, I ended up dragging my feet and now the Apple store doesn't even sell the expensive, "correct" option. So I figure screw it, I'll just go with the $29.99 upgrade disc.

I went to an Apple store, they said I'd have to order it online. I put the order in this past weekend, and looking at my cart the ship date isn't until mid September. Since I was thinking of eventually going to Lion anyways, is it possible to go directly from Tiger to Lion using the USB drive option? I've done a fair amount of googling, and I've only really found speculation back before the USB drive was actually released.

I realize it is still $10 more expensive than buying the Snow Leopard upgrade and then downloading Lion, but the time saved would be worth it to me.

Thanks!
Snow leopard is the stepping stone to lion. I might be wrong.
You might have to bite the bullet to get the snow leopard. To save some money you might get it on ebay. To save even more money on lion, why not download from apple store when you have installed sl. Then create an install disk just like you would have bought from apple store (the usb one),
then install to your macbook pro.
Then get another usb stick to create the lion recovery disk, then you are in business.

OP
D
Reaction score
Snow leopard is the stepping stone to lion. I might be wrong.
You might have to bite the bullet to get the snow leopard. To save some money you might get it on ebay. To save even more money on lion, why not download from apple store when you have installed sl. Then create an install disk just like you would have bought from apple store (the usb one),
then install to your macbook pro.
Then get another usb stick to create the lion recovery disk, then you are in business.

Well of course I'm just going to download Lion after (if) I install Snow leopard. :) No need to drop $40 extra dollars for a physical copy. I was simply wondering if I could skip the Snow Leopard step altogether since they now offer Lion on a USB drive (that is, I don't need the Snow Leopard app store to get it). I guess MYmacROX pretty much answered this, at least from the official Apple standpoint.

I can understand if Lion somehow piggybacks off of Snow Leopard, but I was getting the impression that it's a full, independent OS. I could be absolutely mistaken on that though, which is exactly why I posted on here to see if anyone knew from experience :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2018 15" MBP, 2019 11" iPad Pro, iPhone 11 Pro
We follow U.S. law on these forums and that applies to the Software License Agreement and EULAs.

OP
D
Reaction score
We follow U.S. law on these forums and that applies to the Software License Agreement and EULAs.

Understood.

So has the EULA changed for the Snow Leopard upgrade disk (I tried looking on the apple store, but it takes me to the Lion system requirements everytime)? In my research earlier this year the $29 Snow Leopard upgrade disk was only meant for computers already running Leopard. If one was running Tiger, they had to purchase the $169 package in order to have a proper license. Apple no longer sells the $169 package so did they throw a license on the $29 one?

It seems my only two options to have a Macbook Pro with Lion (or even Snow Leopard) is to buy a new computer or be an Apple-plundering "pirate", ARGGHH

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
The Snow Leopard full boxed set can be purchased from Amazon.com for $129.00 (used) plus free shipping. Do some searching on Amazon, you'll find it.

C

chas_m

Despite the "extra" expense, I recommend the Snow Leopard Boxed Set. The reason is because jumping as far forward as you are going to be doing, you NEED (as in, this is really pretty mandatory) to upgrade your iLife suite anyway -- and for the price, you get the entire iWork suite (a $60 value even on the Mac App Store!) for free. Pages alone is worth that.

Plus, you'll be bang up-to-date on all your Apple apps when you do go to Lion.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.