Desktop icons keep flashing

Reaction score
I had a 500GB transcend external hard drive. It used to work totally fine until yesterday. All icons on my desktop keep flashing whenever I plugged in my external hard drive. I can open folders and hard drive on desktop, but they disappear automatically once it flashes. I thought maybe my hard drive crashed, but when I plugged it into Windows 7, it worked perfectly fine. I haven't tried plugged it into other Mac yet.

Has anyone come across the same problems? Much appreciated for anyone who tries to help me with this!

Thanks!

OP
B
Reaction score
Sadly, no one can help me :(
I upgraded to OS X Lion and it still doesn't help! I'm so desperate now!!

OP
B
Reaction score
Something else I want to share with you guys. When I plug this external hard drive into other user on my mac book pro, it works! This must me something wrong with my user, then I plug my friend's external hard drive into my own user name, it works perfectly fine! What a weird situation!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
Try a new admin account. If it's fine, ditch your current one. It's not worth the headache of trying to figure out what piece is broken.

OP
B
Reaction score
Try a new admin account. If it's fine, ditch your current one. It's not worth the headache of trying to figure out what piece is broken.

Something really strange happened. The new admin account worked fine with my external hard drive. Once I changed it to my name, it did the same thing again! So weird!!! I might have to just dig my current OS and re-install it! Thanks anyway for your advise!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.