What Printer do You Use? Would You Get Either of These?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2018 15" MBP, 2019 11" iPad Pro, iPhone 11 Pro
My Canon Pixma died on me last week and I need a new printer. I'm leaning towards an HP for the Air Print feature because the wife and I each have an iPhone 4 and we have an iPad we share. But it's not an absolute necessity.

We need a photo printer with copy/scan functions, and one that uses separate ink cartridges so I'm not wasting ink with those multi-color cartridges. Don't want to spent more than $150. Here's the 2 we're contemplating at the moment...

Amazon.com: HP Photosmart Premium Wireless e-All-in-One (CN503A#B1H): Electronics

Amazon.com: HP Photosmart Plus Wireless e-All-in-One Printer (CN216A#B1H): Electronics

Any comments or suggestions? Thanks, guys and gals. :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
The main difference I see between the 2 are the first one is a little faster and has a better scanner and probably be my pick because I scan photos occasionally. I use an HP C6380 for the last couple of years and would like to get a new e-print version just can't justify it with mine working so well. One thing that does tick me off
about HP they have taken away the ethernet connection on all but top of the line.

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
None of the Above

I am not a fan of ink-jet printers . . . period.

I have no idea what your usage is for photo printing (the only justification I can see at all for choosing ink-jet over laser). But lets assume you print on average one 8x10 and a dozen 4x6 photos per month.

If you used Snapfish (or some other photo printing service) you would spend per year approximately $50 on photos.

12 ea 8x10 @ $3 ea = $36
150 ea 4x6 @ $0.09 ea= $13.50

Total cost $49.50 which includes online ordering with local in-store pickup if desired.

If you assume your printer life to be 5 years (just for argument sake) the total lifetime outlay (for photos only) would be ~$250

If you do it yourself the yearly cost works out something like this:

Photo Paper
150 sheets of 4x6 $10
12 sheets of 8.5x11 $6
Photo Ink (assume 2 yrs usage per cartridge) $20
Subtotal $36

Then you have to add the amortized printer cost which could be all over the place I am going with a low $15/year

This brings your total cost to $51/year

Bottomline: Even with optimistic numbers because I think the actual costs to print yourself will be significantly higher (photo cartridges dry up and are subject to unequal usage of colors) at the best it is a wash on cost for photos only.

What isn't factored in here is the additional cost for printing B&W sheets. Laser is a clear winner here both in life expectancy and consumables cost, generally costing 1/4 or less of ink-jet.

My reccomendation (and what I have done) is to buy a good standalone scanner and laser printer (wireless) and order prints on the (extremely rare) occasions that I want them.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.