Unofficial Favorite Freeware Thread

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White 2ghz Core Duo Macbook, 2ghz RAM, 60gb Hard drive, SuperDrive
I don't think anyone has mentioned that since Microsoft discontinued WMP for mac... they offer Flip4Mac for free..

flip4mac

OP
U

UncSki1218

yeah flip is awesome...once in a while it wont open something but its good. because quicktime recongnizes it you can convert/use wmv in other apps too.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Powerbook G4 • 24" iMac • iPhone 3Gs
CoverFlow

Simple program that uses Mac's awesome OpenGL graphics and Quartz rendering to display the album art in a "juke box".

I like.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
rMBP (Mid-2015), 2.8 Ghz i7, 16GB DDR3, AMD M370X Gfx, 1 TB SSD
I like Audacity. It's great if you do any audio recording, editing, or mixing (even just for fun)- has many useful options for editing audio projects.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook C2D 2.4 2GB
surfwax95 said:
CoverFlow

Simple program that uses Mac's awesome OpenGL graphics and Quartz rendering to display the album art in a "juke box".

I like.

Programs like that one make me want to go and grab a copy of Tiger... a shame my car needs new tires... Anyway i just want to add <n|vu> to the list, it's a "complete Web Authoring System for Linux Desktop users as well as Microsoft Windows and Macintosh users to rival programs like FrontPage and Dreamweaver...".

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.83 MBP
does anyone have a suggestion for freeware that lets you control and rate songs in itunes without having to open up itunes? I know I've heard of something, but I don't know what it is.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" 2.4 GHz iMac w/ 4GB RAM & 320GB HD
mace, i use you control: tunes i like it because you have control of your music without having to bring up itunes, you can also rate the songs and it's very customizable.

does anyone know of a freeware version of iVolume ?

OP
K

Kokopelli

Mace said:
does anyone have a suggestion for freeware that lets you control and rate songs in itunes without having to open up itunes? I know I've heard of something, but I don't know what it is.

I use QuickSilver with the iTunes plugin. I have browse by artists and browse by track set to triggers. Then Next, Previous, and Pause/Play set to <ctrl><cmd> arrow keys.

Finally <ctrl><cmd>1-5 to set the rating for the currently playing track (these are custom Apple Script calls though, not stock for QS)

I also run Salling Clicker on my phone which is handy for when I am not in front of my computer, but QS is by far my favorite way of going through my collection.

The only time I usuall bring up the iTunes interface is when I need to add music. Every month or so when I rotate out my music I will also bring it up but for day to day use it is just a distraction for me.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.25Ghz Mini, 512MB, 40GB
Allright! More than enought apps to cripple my mini! :D

OP
K

Kokopelli

Must not forget HandBrake, great for all your video encoding needs. I use them to rip my movies down to H.264 format so I can watch them on the road.

Simple to use and reliable.

8.5 out of 10

http://handbrake.m0k.org/

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.25Ghz Mini, 512MB, 40GB
Kokopelli... thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you!!!

I've been looking for something like that for AGES!!!

I had some other apps that sort of did that but they had their little flaws, now I am free!

*Dances a merry jig*

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.83 MBP
Thanks tomyDingo and kokopelli for the insight on the itunes rating options.

I'm curious as to who prefers clutter or coverflow for keeping track of music art.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" 2.4 GHz iMac w/ 4GB RAM & 320GB HD
i use clutter. does cover flow add the artwork to itunes? i don't think it does, but I'm not really sure.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.83 MBP
coverflow gives u the ability to sort thru your album art as you would in a cd case. Similar to clutter in its application. I don't know if it adds the artwork though. I'm pretty sure it does. There's a link to it on the first couple of pages in this thread.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Colorware PowerBook 1.67 GHz G4, 2 GB DDR2, 100GB 7200 RPM
http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/28744

DVD2Pod. Great program. Simple and easy for beginners who aren't familiar with Handbrake's settings and the like, who just want to put movies on their iPod. It's also faster than Handbrake for that one feature, so I hear.

Reaction score
Mace said:
I'm curious as to who prefers clutter or coverflow for keeping track of music art.

Coverflow is absolute genius when i am listening to music fom across the room, and has the best wow factor of almost any freeware

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Powerbook G4/ 15.2"/ 1.67 ghz/ 2 gb RAM/ ATI Mobility Radeon 9700 (128 mb RAM)/ 100 gb hdd@ 5400 RPM
Kokopelli said:
Must not forget HandBrake, great for all your video encoding needs. I use them to rip my movies down to H.264 format so I can watch them on the road.

Simple to use and reliable.

8.5 out of 10

http://handbrake.m0k.org/

Don't forget Mac the Ripper. Rips some DVDs I haven't been able to get with HandBrake.

OP
K

Kokopelli

to_tough_to_die said:
Don't forget Mac the Ripper. Rips some DVDs I haven't been able to get with HandBrake.

True, I almost mentioned it but I don't use it much anymore, just when Handbrake fails for some reason or another.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.
however, mactheripper and handbrake don't do the same thing, handbrake allows you to coppy it to a file that can be played/edited/put on ipod where as mactheripper just coppies the way it is on the dvd so that it can be burned to another dvd.

OP
K

Kokopelli

Yeah but the only time I use MTR is to decrypt so I can compress. Even after MTR you need to use something to compress the movie a bit to fit on a DVD-R. Gordian Knot, DVD2OneX, Popcorn, etc...

For my use I just rip and compress for use from the hard drive though.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.