Starcraft II Running on New 2011 13 Macbook Pro

Reaction score
Hi everyone thanks for taking the time to read I COULD USE SOME HELP REALLY BAD REALLY ANY ADVICE. will help.

I have a 2month old
2011 Macbook Pro
13 Inch i7 2.7
4GB RAM
Everything stocked expect for the i7

In The Past weeks ive been running Starcraft II on OS Lion with no real issues. my fps at the time seemed to be between 40-60 on Medium Settings for Starcraft II (which i thought was still bad)

Recently within the week..

I notice my FPS dropped... im getting 18-28 on Medium Settings.. Texture Medium everything..

is this Normal??? or is just me...

I have Contacted Blizzard about the issues went through steps. nothing help.
There recommendation Hardware Issue..

I have Contacted AppleCare none of there steps worked.

I then took to an Apple Store they did a hardware Diagnostics and nothing was found

I Have now made a total of 5 visits with Apple
there following excuses.

1. Starcraft II Fault .Reinstall the Game. (Didn't Help)
2. Lion's Fault Reinstall Lion with a fresh format (Didn't Help)
3. Hardware Diagnostics (Nothing was found) Keep it over night(Nothing)

After getting sick of Apple. I contacted an Apple Senior Rep over the phone and talked to him did some steps with him over the phone with the laptop itself freezing during the process.

He would then call the Manager of my local of Apple Store.
That I have been going too and ask him to do more of a "better job".. Nothing.... (Due to my bad luck I didn't save his extension and i cannot contact the the Apple Senior Rep. that wanted to actually help me. :'( )

4. Hardware Diagnostics (Nothing was found) Keep it over night(Nothing)

****** OFF enough with Apple

I then contacted another Apple Senior Rep (Complete Moron)

I updated her on the situation She then replied "Was there Parts Replaced Yet"?

Told her none of the parts were replaced.

She then would call the manager.
About 10-20minutes of being on hold.

She would do a complete 360 Dr.jekyll and Mr.hyde

and Said. "its a Third Party Application we can't do anything were not going to replace any parts just because your game can't run

I ask if i could use another computer with the same specifications.. In the Apple Store She Said no.

I don't know what to do something is wrong my Computer... im begging anybody with a 2.7 2011 4GB 13 Inch

tell me whats the FPS when joining a Starcraft 2 Game [Mineralz final should be in the first page)

5. Reinstalled with OS Snow Leopard Nothing.

PLEASE ANYBODY HELP!!!!

robduckyworth

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP, 2.5GHz i7, 750GB, 6770M 1GB, iPad 3, iPhone 4, custom PC
What do you mean by "everything stocked apart from the i7"?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Your MBP 13" i7 machine uses an integrated Intel HD 3000 graphics chipset. That chipset is not the best for running graphic intensive games. That's something you need to understand off the top.

Also, in order to get the maximum use of that GPU you'll need to load the machine with 8 GB of system memory. The reason? Because the HD 3000 shares memory with the system and 8 GB of system memory will allow it to use 512 MB for itself.

Do some Googling around the net and read what other users of your same MBP are saying about their gaming experience and then compare it to yours. Apple is not going to get excited or do anything about your machine not being able to play Starcraft.

OP
X
Reaction score
What do you mean by "everything stocked apart from the i7"?

I meant I didn't buy the Macbook Pro 13Inch 2.3 i5 I paid extra for an 2.7 chip.

Your MBP 13" i7 machine uses an integrated Intel HD 3000 graphics chipset. That chipset is not the best for running graphic intensive games. That's something you need to understand off the top.

Also, in order to get the maximum use of that GPU you'll need to load the machine with 8 GB of system memory. The reason? Because the HD 3000 shares memory with the system and 8 GB of system memory will allow it to use 512 MB for itself.

Do some Googling around the net and read what other users of your same MBP are saying about their gaming experience and then compare it to yours. Apple is not going to get excited or do anything about your machine not being able to play Starcraft.

I have done googling so far nothing. can anybody try to run the game on Medium Settings with with Texture Medium

and join the game Minrealz Final. (Should be on first page)

and tell me your FPS during 2-3 minutes of the game...

I have compared to this
2010 2.53 I5 15iNCH
2010 2.66 Intel Core 2 Duo. 13Inch

both with better FPS..

robduckyworth

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP, 2.5GHz i7, 750GB, 6770M 1GB, iPad 3, iPhone 4, custom PC
How about you post your graphical settings via a screenshot, and we can tell you what to turn down/off.

Anti aliasing would be a big hit for FPS.

OP
X
Reaction score
How about you post your graphical settings via a screenshot, and we can tell you what to turn down/off.

Anti aliasing would be a big hit for FPS.

screenshot20110823at110.png

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.6GHz Core i7 15" MacBook Pro - 8GB DDR3 SDRAM - 750GB 7200 RPM HDD - GeForce 650M GT 1GB VRAM
You can set your Movies to High Definition without any fear of a performance hit - that just sets the resolution of the movie cinematics when they play, not anything that happens during gameplay. That said, as per the guide to SC2 performance on Macs, it may be a good idea to turn down Post-processing to Low. That doesn't explain why your performance suddenly dropped, though. But from what they're saying on the SC2 forums, you getting such high framerates to begin with might have been the weird part...

OP
X
Reaction score
You can set your Movies to High Definition without any fear of a performance hit - that just sets the resolution of the movie cinematics when they play, not anything that happens during gameplay. That said, as per the guide to SC2 performance on Macs, it may be a good idea to turn down Post-processing to Low. That doesn't explain why your performance suddenly dropped, though. But from what they're saying on the SC2 forums, you getting such high framerates to begin with might have been the weird part...

THE FPS was at a stedy 40-50 before. on Medium now its dropped

I have not added or installed anything. I have done complete reformats. and it still slow... any ideas can someone tell me there FPS who has the exact same computer as me?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP - 2.4 GHz Intel Core i5, 4 GB, 320 GB, OSX 10.7.3; TC - 500 GB; iPhone 4S; iPod Nano
have you tried running sc2 through bootcamp windows?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.