Java Problem

Reaction score
I have the wrong version of Java and I can't find a way to download it.
They told me to software update, but it didn't appear.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Software Update is the tool used to update the Java runtime/sdk on a Mac. If it's not showing up, open up SU and go to Software Update > Reset Ignored Updates.

If you go to this page, what version of Java does it say you're running? What version of OS X are you using?

OP
U
Reaction score
Software Update is the tool used to update the Java runtime/sdk on a Mac. If it's not showing up, open up SU and go to Software Update > Reset Ignored Updates.

If you go to this page, what version of Java does it say you're running? What version of OS X are you using?
Gee, thanks Bender!
Also I couldn't hit the button, it was grayed out, but there was something I had forgotten to update (iTunes) earlier, which may have been the problem.
EDIT:
nevermind it DID NOT WORK :C
i cannot reset ignored updates :C

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
If you can't reset the ignored updates, it means there aren't any.

Did you run the Java test I linked to above? I still need your version of OS X as well.

OP
U
Reaction score
If you can't reset the ignored updates, it means there aren't any.

Did you run the Java test I linked to above? I still need your version of OS X as well.
It says "No plug-in available to display this content."
Also I'm running 10.5.8.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
It looks like Java isn't installed which is odd since it comes with OS X (prior to Lion). Regardless, you can download it from here.

OP
U
Reaction score
It looks like Java isn't installed which is odd since it comes with OS X (prior to Lion). Regardless, you can download it from here.
I installed it, it seems to have worked, but for some reason it hasn't touched chrome.
My test was to check a Java browser game I found. It didn't work on Chrome after Java but it worked on Firefox.
This leads me to believe it's a Chrome problem. How can I get Chrome to accept Java itself?

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Go to the about:plugins URL in Chrome (it's a Chrome specific URL). On that page, check to see if Java is recognized. If it is, make sure it's enabled.

OP
U
Reaction score
Go to the about:plugins URL in Chrome (it's a Chrome specific URL). On that page, check to see if Java is recognized. If it is, make sure it's enabled.
Nothing specifying java there.
There's flash, quicktime, silverlight, shockwave, and some other plugins.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.