Encrypted Partition in Lion. How to change password?

Reaction score
Hello all,

I really like the new Partition in Lion that has Encryption. I've used it for my external disks and it asks for a password when you connect them. Great stuff.

However I was wondering if anyone knows how to change this password? I'd like to make it something stronger.

I can't find anything in disk util.

Regards,
Simon

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Performa 6116 2GBSCSI 8MB OS 7.5.3
You need to turn encryption off and re-encrypt with the new stronger password.

OP
S
Reaction score
How do you turn encryption off a partition on an external drive then? I've been trying to work this out?

Regards,
Simon

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Performa 6116 2GBSCSI 8MB OS 7.5.3
Sorry, classic case of look before you leap on my part. I assumed it was like FileVault.

You will need to move all the files off the drive and format it and recreate the encryption password you prefer then dump everything back on it.

FileVault can be turned off and on again.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Agee with MacsWork. The best I can tell - since the only way the encryption can be turned on for an external drive is during the actual format process - I don't see any way to change that password except by formatting the drive again.

Looks like with internal drives, the encryption can be turned on and off.

OP
S
Reaction score
Yeah that's my conclusion also. Which is a shame as it would be great to have the option to change the password.

However, it's still a great feature I'm really happy for. No big deal, just need to swap some things around and copy back.

Thanks for the advice guys,

Regards,
Simon

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.