Opinion on Power Mac G5 I am looking at

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2012 iMac 27" i7 - iPAD 16gb - Mac mini G4 - ATV3
I have a chance to purchase a Power Mac G5 with the following for $375.00

Snow leopard 10.5
Processor: 2x PPC 2.3 Ghz (Dual single core processors)
RAM: 2 GB DDR2
Hard Drive: 250 GB
Video Card: NVidia GeForce 6600 (256MB, Dual-DVI)

I am a PC person looking to convert to Mac, I was looking to put this in my finished basement next to my server so that when I go down I don't have to take my Windows laptop. I want to run Corel or Illustrator and do some work with scanning photos. Will this machine do what I want it to do without being a disappointment. I had two Dell's that were 4+ years old and they were impossible to work with and slower then crap.

I intend to purchase and new 27" i7 iMac by the end of the year but wanted to get started on a Mac sooner.

thanks. Joe

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
A Dual Core G5 is worth about that sort of money IF it comes with the original system discs and the Leopard black install DVD. Memory is about minimum needed for Leopard. As a suggestion see if the bucks will run to an Intel model Mac Pro or iMac as PowerPC architecture, which the G5 is, is finished.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2xiMac24 w Parallels 6 (1x White, 1x Aluminum), iPhone 3GS with iOS5
If you are heading to an Intel machine, my 2 cents would be to not but the G5.

The G5 is PPC, has some bad motherboards and the software you have to buy will need to be several versions old to load on the PPC platform and probably will not install on your new Intel.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
The machine should do what you need it to do for now, but just remember, if you purchase any apps for it that are for Power PC, they are not going to work on your new iMac with Lion.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black MacBook 2.2GHz C2D, 4GB Ram - iMac G4 700MHz, 512MB Ram
In my opinion that's not a very good deal.. I bought my G5 for $300, and it's the quad core model, 8GB of ram, 800GB HD, max graphics card, etc. I'd say that's about a $200-$250 machine you have there, but if you're willing to spend the money, it should do what you need without any problems.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2015 27" iMac, 3.3ghz, M395 gpu, 2tb Fusion, 8gb
I wouldn't even consider it. It is an obsolete piece of equipment with no support and no new software. If you are looking to get into the mac world that isn't the way to go. Just buy your iMac a little sooner.

OP
J
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2012 iMac 27" i7 - iPAD 16gb - Mac mini G4 - ATV3
Thanks to everyone for the advise, will pass on this, thanks.
Joe

C

chas_m

Also, not sure what you meant by "Corel" but whatever it was if they don't have a Mac version it wouldn't run of course, and if they DO have a Mac version it would be unlikely to run on a G5.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.