• This forum is for posting news stories or links from rumor sites. When you start a thread, please include a link to the site you're referencing.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM TO ASK "WHAT IF?" TYPE QUESTIONS.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM FOR ASKING QUESTIONS ABOUT HOW TO USE YOUR MAC OR SOFTWARE.

This is a NEWS and RUMORS forum as the name implies. If your thread is neither of those things, then please find the appropriate forum to ask your question.

If you don't have a link to a news story, do not post the thread here.

If you don't follow these rules, then your post may be deleted.

Apple Working On A Brand New Never Before Seen Mac For This Year’s End!! or are they?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2010 MacBook Pro 13 Inch
Sounds interesting if it is true. :) I hope they come out with a product like that and I am curious to see what it would be. Great help updating on the latest apple hardware.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
All a bit vague, sort of the tech equivalent of a newspaper horoscope

OP
TattooedMac
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
-->
I see a big flatscreen 42"+ that also houses a full fledged Mac board. A true HTPC that will serve many functions all wrapped up in one nice wall hanging package. How hard would this actually be?? Look at the size of the logic board in a Mac mini. ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
I can't find my salt!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I see a big flatscreen 42"+ that also houses a full fledged Mac board.

Would I ever love to see something like that hanging on my office wall..... :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2010 MacBook Pro 13 Inch
Or a video game system. :eek: If Microsoft can make a good one I can only imagine..... Though there's probably some downside to this and people may argue with it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
Or a video game system. :eek: If Microsoft can make a good one I can only imagine..... Though there's probably some downside to this and people may argue with it.

They tried that once. Google it.

Reaction score
Apple is due for a new Mac design. While the current desktop Macs are functional, they don't have the character of the old ones (think of the iMac G4, for example, versus the iMacs made since 2004--they have looked like glorified monitors for seven years now). The designs are also dated--aside from the aluminum revision, the iMac hasn't changed much since 2004; the Mac Pro looks nearly identical to the "cheese grater" Power Mac G5, which came out eight years ago. (Compare that to the G3/G4 era, when the design changed every year).

I wouldn't be surprised if the iMac gets a smaller frame, a different base (I still miss the swivel ability of the G4), or comes in a larger "home theater" size with a built-in Apple TV.

I think they're content with the current line of laptops. I agree about the great emphasis on the MacBook Air. I think they have themselves another "Mac for the Masses", much like the original iMac or (for you old-timers) the Classic. Think of how the original iMac was marketed--relatively low price, everything in one box, innovative design, suited for the web, multiple trim lines/equipment options to meet all needs and price points. It's not that different than the MBA with the exception of the color scheme (you're stuck with aluminum, no choosing between different colors or patterns). I make the comparison to the old Mac Classic because of the 2010 Air, which used an old chip (the Classic used the 68000 six years after it was first seen in a Mac; the MBA, of course, used the Core 2 Duo four years after its Apple debut). In both cases, the old chips were used to keep the price at $1000 for the base model. Note, too, the lack of expansion in the iMac G3, MBA, and Mac Classic.

Forget about a mid-range modular desktop Mac. It simply won't happen, and my article on Mac 512 will explain why:
Home of The Mac 512 | mac512.com

Finally, you can rule out a video game console, and not just because of the failing of the Pippin. It's just not a business Apple seems to want to be a part of, and for good reason--sales are slow, the major players are entrenched, and the market is drying up a bit (I recently read video game sales were at a recent low). Sure, Apple could probably innovate in this department, perhaps a touch-type controller, but I just don't see it happening.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.6GHz Core i7 15" MacBook Pro - 8GB DDR3 SDRAM - 750GB 7200 RPM HDD - GeForce 650M GT 1GB VRAM
I Cmd-F'd "cube" on this page and got 0 results. You guys disappoint me. :(

Reaction score
I Cmd-F'd "cube" on this page and got 0 results. You guys disappoint me. :(

Hmm, that's something I never thought of.

Remember, the Cube was only put on hiatus in 2001. It was never formally discontinued.

Why not redesign the Mac Pro with a cube design? It could be modified to have expansion slots and the Cube could be brushed aluminum to match the rest of Apple's offerings. It sure would beat the ugly cheese grater design Apple has been using since 2003.

Reaction score
To each his own, I suppose. I'm perfectly happy with the current Apple lineup, which seems to start with engineering functional products and ends with beautiful design.

I would never buy the iLamp, nor pay a premium price for something like the cube (the PowerMac G4 and the G4 cube were something like $200 apart). And I surely hope Apple doesn't sink time or money into finding ways to bring back modern equivalents -- especially when they've been so successful without them.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.8GHz, 4GB RAM 15" MBP (Late 2008)
Maybe this will implement the new keyboard technology we have been seeing in their patent applications. New Apple computers always make me happy because the computers are really what have made me love the brand.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
You mean the plastic G4 cases who's handles broke off if you were not careful? The So Called Cheese Grater case is an excellent design. Ever take a Lampshade G4 iMac apart? Not very fun.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.6GHz Core i7 15" MacBook Pro - 8GB DDR3 SDRAM - 750GB 7200 RPM HDD - GeForce 650M GT 1GB VRAM
Hmm, that's something I never thought of.

Remember, the Cube was only put on hiatus in 2001. It was never formally discontinued.
I like where this is going.

Why not redesign the Mac Pro with a cube design?
Um... but I kind of like the Mac Pro...

It sure would beat the ugly cheese grater design Apple has been using since 2003.

Oh, you have crossed the line now.

You mean the plastic G4 cases who's handles broke off if you were not careful? The So Called Cheese Grater case is an excellent design. Ever take a Lampshade G4 iMac apart? Not very fun.
Actually, this was the Cube. You can think of it as the overpriced but really cool-looking spiritual ancestor of the Mac Mini. As for the lampshade iMac, I remember tearing the optical drive out of one of them so I could put in a DVD drive with which to install Tiger. It makes me somewhat look down on self-proclaimed tech savvy people that think taking apart the current Mac lineup is "overly difficult." :\

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
I happen to have come accross a Top Secret sketch of the new product

iGlasses4.jpg

I understand it is to be called . . . . .. iGlasses. ;)

BTW, as you can easily tell, I flunked Art in grade school. :'(

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Early 2011 13 inch MacBook Pro i5 with 8gb of Ram
maybe its new macbook pro without heating issues! doubt it. besides i just bought one and i do not feel like buying another. but it would bother me not having the new one.

P.S. Macs rock!!!! woohoo

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.