Airport Extreme signal increase

Reaction score
Hey all,

I take care of a home for some folks and have been trying to increase their wireless signal throughout the house. The home is old, built around 1860, and is well over 12,000 square feet.

I recently purchased an airport extreme and placed it in the owner's office (in an open area) and have noticed an incredible difference in strength from the from the Linksys. However, while the signal is strong in the office, and other rooms close by, it just doesn't extend far enough to provide for the upstairs bedrooms or garden level guest rooms.

I purchased two airport express's and placed them around the house and unfortunately, have not seen any results.

Any advice on how to increase the signal so that it's consistent throughout the house and small area outside? I still have the old Linksys system and was wondering if it would be possible to set it up in the garden level for starters. I'm just not sure if it would work w/in my network.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Best,

Joseph

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
What my co. has done on multiple floors where the owner would not let us pull wire
or the structure was forbidding was to use an Airport Extreme on each floor .If a terrace or patio was involved then it would be close to them. While the Airport Express are great they don't have the range needed on some homes. Also keep in mine that moving the Extreme or express a few feet
in either direction as well as up or down can increase or decrease the range. I use iStumbler to gauge signal strength as well as traffic and noise.

BrianLachoreVPI

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
March 2011 15" MBP 2.3GHz i7 Quad Core 8GB Ram | Mid 2011 27" iMac 3.4 GHz i7 16 GB RAM 2 TB HDD
I'm not sure purchasing two Airport Express's was the best way to go. Adding an Airport Extreme or upgrading the network installation to two Airport Extremes would make a lot more sense to me. You're not going to get the same signal strength or data rate performance from an Airport Express and there will be BW loss using the network extension functionality.

Take the express's back and upgrade the Routers/APs.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.