Tiger to Snow Leopard?

Reaction score
Got an email from my beloved Spotify today telling me that, in a few months, they will no longer support OSX prior to 10.5. In other words, it's time to upgrade. Since I've had no problems with Tiger (I have a white MacBook, circa mid-2007, 1GB RAM, 2 gHz Intel), I've had no reason to upgrade until now, so I've been out of the loop for a few years as to upgrade requirements. I can't download Lion, since I can't access the Mac App store, and I'd like to stick with familiarity, so would it be possible to install Snow Leopard? Any responses/help is appreciated. Thanks!

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
Yeah you can purchase the Snow Leopard retail disk for $29 and then do a fresh install on your Macbook..make sure you backup your data first..

If you have a Core2Duo processor, then you can upgrade to Lion..

OP
T
Reaction score
Cool, thanks for the reply. Would there be any issue with the specs I mentioned? 2ghz Core2Duo, 1GB RAM?

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
The processor speed should be OK..but you could definitely benefit from upgrading your RAM to whatever max your Macbook supports..can never have enough RAM..:)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
I believe that Apple's position is that the OSX Box Set is for upgrading to Snow Leopard from versions prior to Leopard. In fact, I also have it on very good authority that this is the official position of this forum as well. (The box set includes iWork.) However, I think it's getting hard if not impossible to find SL in any form at retail stores. You might be limited to internet purchasing.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
g4 ibook 1.2/512 leopard, 2007 MacBook 2.0 c2d lion, 20" imac 1.8 cd , 2010 mac mini
I live in the chicago illinois area, cannot find snow leopard at any of the Apple retail stores around chicago and been told that the Apple online store is sold out and has a 3 week wait to get it. I got a retail copy from someone on craigslist and it works just fine. just an option for you but make sure it is a retail version not a grey restore disc.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.