Any estimates as to when we might see an external lightbolt powered 1TB SSD HD?

Reaction score
Hi all

About to purchase a new macbook pro, but wanting to know if anyone has any idea when one might be able to get hold of one of these?

The new Lacie thunderbolt drives that are nearly out are a) only SSD up to 500GB and are also not really particularly portable - I'm talking about 2.5" form factor and powered entirely by lightbolt as opposed to AC power.

Cheers!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Currently 13" Late 2010 MBA, 4GB/128GB; Early 2011 13" MBP, dual core i7 2.7ghz, 4gb ram, 500gb hd
I really doubt we're going to see anything like that in the near future. High end storage will be the starting point - systems like the Promise RAID arrays. LaCie's desktop drive will be the guinea pig for home use. Between the cost for the host adapter, the "limited" number of devices supporting it, and the ubiquitous nature of USB, it's going to be an uphill battle. But, if computer manufacturers see a chance to make a buck, they'll exploit it. If the risk outweighs the potential for profit, they won't.

OP
R
Reaction score
I really doubt we're going to see anything like that in the near future. High end storage will be the starting point - systems like the Promise RAID arrays. LaCie's desktop drive will be the guinea pig for home use. Between the cost for the host adapter, the "limited" number of devices supporting it, and the ubiquitous nature of USB, it's going to be an uphill battle. But, if computer manufacturers see a chance to make a buck, they'll exploit it. If the risk outweighs the potential for profit, they won't.

ah, thanks for the reply dude.

good to know - I think what I'm just going to do then is take the plunge and opt for the 512GB internal SSD drive and hope it turns out to be vaguely enough space for most things I need to access most the time..!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
Currently you could get the WD passport with FW 800 for both speed and portability.

C

chas_m

Thunderbolt is going to take some time to gain traction in the marketplace (though video pros are already loving it). As for a 1TB SSD drive ... short of winning the lottery I don't think most of us could afford it even if it existed, which it doesn't. That's another one for the "maybe after Obama finishes his second term" list.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mid-2010 15" MBP; late 2012 11" MBA; iPhone 5
If your Mac's performance speed is what matters most to you, maybe consider swapping out your optical drive and putting in a more affordable SSD with less capacity, on which you would only run your system and app files -- leaving your HDD for the job of storing your home folder.

If you use your optical drive rarely, this might give you the snappy performance you want, while retaining your storage space.

OP
R
Reaction score
^^ I still think I'll go for the 512gb internal SSD - I want a bunch of samples on there that Logic will be able to search through and access as fast as possible.

Is it possible with macs (I'm switching over from PC) to partition say, 16 or 32GB or so on the main HD for just OS installation? I imagine that would increase boot time / general OS use further considering it'd be on a 512gb drive..

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
What kind of files are you planning on reading/writing? This will actually make a difference as to whether or not you even want to bother with SSD.. ;)

at least for external storage.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.