• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

Can't finalize project in 720p or 1080p

Reaction score
I am really new to using iMovie and basically using a Mac but I am getting better at it. I put together a 3 minute vid for a friend using video files from a GoPro HD. He put these files on a memory stick and i loaded it onto my Mac. They are MP4 files. I made a few shorter GoPro videos on iMovie before working on my friends vid and when I finalized those videos they automatically finalized at least in 720p. When I finalized my friends 3 min video.. it says creating the "Large" movie instead of creating the HD 720p movie or 1080p. cannot figure out why iMovie will not finalize in HD when the files that I am using are in HD. Any ideas of what I am doing wrong or not doing correctly?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PPC Mini, 10.4.11. Intel Mini, 10.6.8. MacBook Pro, 10.14.6. M1 MBA 11.6.3 iPhone 5 iOS 12.5,
Play the mp4 files in Quicktime. Open the Movie Inspector and check the resolution/dimensions of the movie. It maybe that they are less than 720p, in which case you can't export at the higher resolution.

Also there is no need to use the Finalize option. All this does is create copies of your movie at every possible resolution that the Project can support. Exprt or Share gives you the option to choose which one you want.

OP
S
Reaction score
Thanks for the help. I opened the files in QuickTime and used the movie inspector to see what the resolution and size of the file is and it is 1280 x 960. I then tried to export the video on iMovie and it doesn't give me the option for 720p or 1080p. It only gives me from "large" down to the lowest quality.

Am I not importing the file correctly to iMovie? What else can I try to do to get the video to save in HD?

OP
S
Reaction score
Okay I figured it out.. I was importing the files into iMovie using the 960x540 choice instead of importing the full size. Once i imported a full size file into iMovie I made a short vid and exported it. Right there I saw the option for 720p.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21.5 iMac 3.06 ghz 12gb ram 500g HD iPad 2 16G
iMovie converts file footage to AIC not Pro Res...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PPC Mini, 10.4.11. Intel Mini, 10.6.8. MacBook Pro, 10.14.6. M1 MBA 11.6.3 iPhone 5 iOS 12.5,
Pro Res is for Final Cut.

OP
S
Reaction score
I used mpeg streamclip to convert the mp4 files to apple pro res before I Imported them to iMovie. I am pretty sure that is unnecessary but I read that apple res is a friendly editing format. Thanks for the help guys.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yes, Apple Pro Res is edit friendly, but for Final Cut. iMovie uses the Apple Intermediate Codec, and will, if it can, convert whatever you import to that format. You can import mp4 straight into iMovie and it will do the conversion.

Reaction score
apple pro seems great, and i do not like windows movie maker

----------------
I am mainly using apple pro to edit mmo game video and facebook game video to help people to play games.

Reaction score
I have found others facing the same as well but then here are some solutions that you can try out, just check it out and see if they are helping .

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.