MAC OS X 10.6.4 Airport & Windows Issue

Reaction score
Hi,

I have a normal Macbook (Not Pro) approx 3yrs old 2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 2GB 1067MHz DDR3. I have few problems as below.

1. Firstly I did not know that the extended protection plan cannot be purchased once the initial warranty lapses. hence now i cannot avail any warranty or support services from Apple without paying any charges.

2. My computer says No Airport Card Installed. I checked the discussion forums and tried hitting Command+Option+P+R Button while restarting and after hearing 3 traditional apple chimes to reset it. However it still did not work for me. Can someone please suggest another self help alternate to resolve this issue of mine. If i have to open the hardware/cables please advise how to do the same coz after opening the back cover only the battery and HDD are visible.

3. The biggest problem i am facing is the compatibility issue while using MAC OS X at my workplace. I am located in India and here most of the applications/websites are based on IE/others but on Windows OS. I have tried to use the BootCamp to partition and install windows. I have both the MS Windows XP and Windows 7 editions. But while running the bootcamp i get the message that the HDD cannot be verified and has to be formatted using the disk utility. Upon running the disk utility it says that please take full backup using time machine and reboot using the OS X installation disks and format the HDD and then run bootcamp. I have also taken the backup using time machine on a 1TB external HDD. Now while purchasing this macbook i did not receive any installation discs. So i am stuck with it. Can someone help how to solve this issue. How can i format the disk if i dont have the installation discs. My ultimate aim is to install MS Windows on this macbook. As MAC OS X is helpful for my home use but for my work i need windows.

Further would also like to know which version of Windows would run best on this Macbook. I'd prefer Win7 but i doubt about hardware compatibility and any other issues. I am listing full specs of my macbook. Please help!!

Model Name: MacBook
Model Identifier: MacBook5,1
Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo
Processor Speed: 2.4 GHz
Number Of Processors: 1
Total Number Of Cores: 2
L2 Cache: 3 MB
Memory: 2 GB
Bus Speed: 1.07 GHz
Boot ROM Version: MB51.007D.B03
SMC Version (system): 1.32f8

Thanks in advance,
Regards,
Ankit

Reaction score
Welcome to the forums! I think you'll find this a helpful group.

If you don't have installation disks, I would purchase Snow Leopard first and upgrade your OS to 10.6. You can use that disk for any reinstall/repair that would be necessary assuming you can't get the install disks.

As for WinXP vs Win7, definitely use Win7. It will work fine with your machine. Apple is no longer providing drivers in Boot Camp for XP.

While the "get Snow Leopard" advice is appropriate regardless of your situation, one alternative you may have is to install Windows (either XP or 7) as a virtual machine using VirtualBox (free from Sun), Parallels or VM Ware Fusion - as an alternative to Boot Camp. Even though you only have 2 GB of memory, either of those should work if allocated 1 GB of the memory. That won't set any speed records but will be serviceable and may be a way to avoid having to purchase a new version of Mac OSX.

Either way, I would advise reading both stickies at the top of this forum in their entirety (and if using Boot Camp, to print and read Apple's instructions in their entirety) before installing Windows either as a virtual machine or via Boot Camp.

Good luck!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.