Apple Desktop

Reaction score
Hi I am new to Apple Desktop.
I am having a question why can't the apple desktop come's with a backup unit like the mac books have. If it's a stupid question please forgive me....:Confused:

Muralidharan

C

chas_m

It's (probably) not a stupid question, but I'm not sure I understand it.

Are you referring to an iMac?

All Macs (all models) can use Time Machine, which is automatic backup software. I assume that's what you mean.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I am having a question why can't the apple desktop come's with a backup unit like the mac books have.

I'm confused as well. What do you mean by a "backup unit"?

- Nick

OP
M
Reaction score
Battery Backup

Sorry guys I think I confused all of you, I just want to know whether it's possible to have a internal battery in iMac desktops like iMac Air Books.
While using Mac books its very easy to carry any where but while using a iMac desktops we are placing it in a place where we able to get the power.
What I am thinking is can the iMac also comes with the a internal battery means the desk will have only iMac with out the power cable.:Confused:

Muralidharan

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 10.5.8 2.53 Ghz Intel Core Duo 4GB 1067 Mhz DDR3
well, its like saying why don't PC desktops come with an internal battery? A desktop is, well, meant to sit on a desk all day. A laptop, is supposed to be carried around. Different purposes, different builds.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
In short no. Desktops require mains power and for that you require a power lead. Period.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Sorry guys I think I confused all of you, I just want to know whether it's possible to have a internal battery in iMac desktops like iMac Air Books.
While using Mac books its very easy to carry any where but while using a iMac desktops we are placing it in a place where we able to get the power.
What I am thinking is can the iMac also comes with the a internal battery means the desk will have only iMac with out the power cable.:Confused:

I'm not really sure why you're asking this question...unless it's totally out of curiosity...just to see if it could be done.

As already mentioned...no desktop computers (Macintosh or Windows based) have internal batteries designed to run the computer without plugging them into the electricity. There are basically two reasons for this:

1. In terms of iMacs...there just isn't any space for internal batteries of this type.
2. Desktop computers use a lot more energy than laptop computers...so even if you could put batteries inside of desktop computers to operate them...the total runtime you might get would be like 5-10 minutes...and add to this the possibly of having to power a monitor as well.

Now sure...if you took 1, 2, or 3 automobile batteries...wired them up properly...and used a 12volt to 120volt inverter...yes you could power a desktop computer without plugging it into an electrical outlet.

But these batteries would be:

- external to the computer
- you may or may not get a lot of runtime
- each automobile battery can weigh up to 50+ pounds
- eventually you will have to recharge the auto batteries

Basically it's really is not practical to power a desktop computer from batteries for the average user. For military purposes out in the middle of the woods or desert...or on an Antarctic expedition...sure powering a desktop computer with external batteries would be possible. But then again...folks in the military or someone on an Antarctic expedition wouldn't be using a desktop computer...they would be using laptops!!!;)

HTH,

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
Hi I am new to Apple Desktop.
I am having a question why can't the apple desktop come's with a backup unit like the mac books have. If it's a stupid question please forgive me....:Confused:

Well, since you subsequently clarified the question, you're forgiven. ;)

Why? It would still be too bulky to carry around even if you didn't need a cord.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
It would not hurt to use a UPS in case of power failure at least you would have enough
time to shut it down properly.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.