External hard drive

Reaction score
Hi, I have a 500gig WD external hard drive. I apologise if this is the wrong forum to ask this.

I've been using it for a little while on my mac and pc. It is partitioned to work on both computers. When I open it on my pc only the 'pc' partition shows. When I open the drive on my mac the 'pc' and 'mac' partitions show and I can access everything.

Now however I can only access the drive via a pc. When I plug it into my mac the hard drive buzzes, the wd passport opens but not the actual drive and I cannot access either the 'pc' or 'mac' partitions. They do not appear on the desktop or in the disk utility.

Help! Please.

Reaction score
How is the drive formatted? 1 partition, or more? what file structure - FAT, NTFS, MacOS Extended, other?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Moved to correct forum. Not a Switcher topic.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
How is the drive formatted? 1 partition, or more? what file structure - FAT, NTFS, MacOS Extended, other?

Did you not read his post?

tngrocks said:
half the drive is FAT and i think the other is NTFS

If that's the case then the PC should have seen both partitions as did the Mac. On the MAc open disc utility (APPLICATIONS > UTILITIES) and see if the partitions show up there. If so you may be able to click the MOUNT button at the top of the window and have them mount.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
Since this is a WD drive, I know they come with some security software for you to activate. You know, where you have to enter a password to access the drive. Did you happen to activate it on the Windows side? I tried that with mine and the Macs didn't like it. Disabled it and it worked fine again.

Reaction score
Apologies if this is the wrong place to post this as I am a newbie.

I have an external Western Digital drive which I used on my PC to store music, photos etc. I am currently converting to an iMac. Do I need to do anything to convert the drive for Mac use? Or would it be able to read it without conversion. I would need to preserve the existing files. Any help would be much appreciated.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.