Folders Copying Themselves

Reaction score
My folders are copying themselves onto Macintosh HD. I attached a screenshot. I'm not copying them or anything. After I delete them, they copy themselves back on there again.

I'm running Mac OS X Version 10.6.4

Sorry if I put this post in the wrong place.. T_______T

Screen shot 2011-08-21 at 5.14.45 PM.png

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
You did manage to post in the wrong forum. This has nothing to do with Apple Rumors and Reports. Please read our forum descriptions before posting. Thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
Your image doesn't indicate which folders are "copying themselves" but what you describe is more accurately "regeneration" of folders. There are certain folders that the OS has by default, whether you want them or not.

OP
N
Reaction score
Your image doesn't indicate which folders are "copying themselves" but what you describe is more accurately "regeneration" of folders. There are certain folders that the OS has by default, whether you want them or not.

The folders that are copying themselves aren't the default folders. They're my Pictures, Music, Movies, Desktop, etc.. All those folders. Not the default ones. ^^

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ok, if you mean they replicate the contents as well, I'm at a loss. That would be describing something I would think is impossible without user intervention. Does anyone else have access to the computer when you're not around?

OP
N
Reaction score
Ok, if you mean they replicate the contents as well, I'm at a loss. That would be describing something I would think is impossible without user intervention. Does anyone else have access to the computer when you're not around?

No one else has access to the computer when I'm not around. It does it as I'm watching it, too. Copying the folders with the contents and everything.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Early 2008, 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 3 GB 800 MHz DDR2 SDRAM ATI Radeon HD 2400 XT 128 MB
Its possesed! No, i would backup the folders, then delete them,the originals, not the ones that were duplicated, THEN try and delete them from the HD.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
No one else has access to the computer when I'm not around. It does it as I'm watching it, too. Copying the folders with the contents and everything.

You must have it set to do this. Do you use a backup program?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Currently 13" Late 2010 MBA, 4GB/128GB; Early 2011 13" MBP, dual core i7 2.7ghz, 4gb ram, 500gb hd
I'm still not certain I'm understanding correctly. Every user account has default folders created by the account template - Desktop, Documents, Downloads, Library, Movies, Music, Pictures, Shared and Sites. The system will "yell" at you if you try to delete those folders, and if they're missing, the system will recreate them. It will also create basic file structures within some folders, including folders for your iTunes music, libraries, iPhoto database, etc. You can Control-click the folders and Get Info to see if they contain any data. Odds are, if it's just recreating the folders, they won't be more than 100k or so. I'd be curious to know if the files are much larger than that once they reappear.

OP
N
Reaction score
I'm still not certain I'm understanding correctly. Every user account has default folders created by the account template - Desktop, Documents, Downloads, Library, Movies, Music, Pictures, Shared and Sites. The system will "yell" at you if you try to delete those folders, and if they're missing, the system will recreate them. It will also create basic file structures within some folders, including folders for your iTunes music, libraries, iPhoto database, etc. You can Control-click the folders and Get Info to see if they contain any data. Odds are, if it's just recreating the folders, they won't be more than 100k or so. I'd be curious to know if the files are much larger than that once they reappear.

I didn't try to delete the originals of those folders; I tried to delete the copies that were in the wrong place. The originals are in the folder of my account. These folders are copying onto the Macintosh HD. And it's copying the folders with the contents of the originals. So they're bigger than 100k.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I didn't try to delete the originals of those folders; I tried to delete the copies that were in the wrong place.

Yeah, but the suggestion is that the originals may be corrupt for some reason, so get rid of them and keep the copies.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.