Problem with the LCD Display

Reaction score
i have had this macbook since last june. i will admit that i handle laptops roughly, so it's hardly surprising that in the span of one year, the charging port has been knocked in (an apple genius took the computer apart and pushed it back, no problem in the end), the touchpad has stopped functioning due to water damage (another apple genius replaced the touchpad free of charge, thanks warranty that is no longer in place now), and the fan has broken down (an apple genius repaired this and said it was probably due to treating the computer too roughly and whatnot).

now i've encountered another problem, and it's one that i expect to pay for ... it happened yesterday night, when i lifted the computer and moved it to my desk. i've looked through other threads and have done the screenshot test -- the vertical lines do not show up on the screenshot, which means the problem is not with the logic board. it is mostly likely something to do with the video cables or the lcd display panel. my guess is that the cable's been knocked a little loose from all my abuse or the lcd display panel needs to be replaced. does anyone have a ballpark figure for how much apple will charge to fix this problem, whether it's replacing the cable or the panel?

also: i can make the vertical lines shift a little and go away slightly by physically moving the display back and forth or pressing lightly on the screen itself. does this mean the problem could also be with the display? if that's the case, i might as well save up for a new laptop altogether.

img2011082100115.jpg

Reaction score
the LCD itself is cracked. i had the identical problem on mine, only very, very worse. Turn your Mac off and look at the effected area. You should still see the outline of the larger black splotches. Then you know its 100% the LCD is shattered, though the picture is pretty indicative of that. If you don't have an AppleCare plan expect to pay around $300 dollars or so, if you do have the plan, I don't think it should be a lot, if anything at all.

If you don't want to pay that much, you can do what I did, and replace it yourself! The part is just about 100 dollars, and the procedure takes under an hour. There are a LOT of really good guides/videos that will walk you through EVERY SCREW (there's a ton) so you can replace the screen. Good luck!

OP
T
Reaction score
oh, i see .. thank you! i just turned the macbook off and you were right, the black outlines are still there. so i'm guessing that all that rough treatment ended up cracking the fragile lcd screen? ): well, looks like i'll need to save up to have apple repair it since i'm not mechanically savvy at all and don't trust myself with these sort of operations. ;; thank you though, at least i now know what the problem is! i'll just have to endure this awkward screen for a while, adjust my computer browsing habits to fit within the area that's not damaged. oh apple, why must your computers be so sleek and pretty yet so fragile!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Even if you have Apple Care, a cracked screen is not going to be covered. Since you don't want to repair it yourself, contact the folks at IResQ. They do excellent work and are an authorized Apple repair and dealer.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.