Connect to Windows XP share?

Reaction score
I have been connecting my MBP to a Win2003 shared folder without any problems, but can not connect to an XP shared folder on another machine that is on the same LAN using...

Finder>GO>Connect to server>smb://192.168.0.103/test

Is there some way I can get Finder to tell me why it sits there forever with a "connecting to...." message?

Added info:
* XP has firewall turned off and has no other virus or firewall software.
* the folder I am trying to share "test" has the "everyone" user in its permissions list with permissions set to "full control"
* no error messages appear in the XP app or system log
* the sharename "test" does appear in the list when I use the OSX terminal with this command:
smbclient -L 192.168.0.103
* I'm using OSX 10.6.5 and XP 32bit with SP2
* thinking this was a common problem, I tried the forum's search feature in both this forum and the switcher forum - to no avail

thanks again!

OP
W
Reaction score
Found it - OSX needed a reboot. Some critical but low visibility part of OSX had died. Some symptoms I noticed...
1. even though I could ping the XP box, OSX never asked for the user name and password when trying to connect. OSX acted like the computer I was trying to connect did not exist.
2. the "force quit" window didn't open when called upon.

That's the first time I've ever seen OSX behave so badly. Good to know that it does happen, though, as I wasted all of my time tinkering with the XP box instead of suspecting OSX.

There may be a more elegant way to restart OSX, but I had to hold the power button down to get it to shut off as a normal shutdown or restart did not respond at all - even after closing all of the open programs.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.