TIME Machine External Hard Disc, exclude permanently

Reaction score
I have regularly connected an external hard disc to my MacBook where I save my photos. I do not want to back up time machine this hard disc but do this separately. In the time machine menu I can exclude this external disc and the folders that are on it under "Options". Does time machine save this permanently or do I have to exclude the external disc / the folders whenever I switch on my machine? I am suspicious because after a restart I do not see the excluded folders under options in time machine.....
Is there a way, that I can exclude the back up of this external hard disc permanently? Thank you for your answer

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
External drives are automatically excluded from Time Machine backups by default unless you go into TM preferences and remove them from the exclusion list.

They are not going to appear on the list except when they are connected.

OP
B
Reaction score
Thank you very much for your reply. But I still did not get it: Does it mean I do not have to bother? The external disc will not be backed up even if it is connected?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Intel iMac, MacBook Pro, MacBook Air, iPad, iPhone 4, iPods, AirPort blah blah
Yes, the external disc will not be backed up unless specified.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.