Can I use a used Leopard disc I bought off eBay to upgrade from Tiger to Leopard?

Reaction score
I just bought a used disc of Leopard (10.5) on eBay. Can I use this disc without problems from Apple? I don't want them thinking I am using a CD on more than one computer.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15" 2014, 2.2GHz i7, 16GB RAM, 250GB SSD, OSX 10.9.5 - iPhone 5s 16gb
You shouldn't have a problem with it at all, so long as it is a retail version and not a grey model-specific version of Leopard.

Hope this helps

- Simon

OP
P
Reaction score
ok

I don't like purchasing anything used but I hardly have an option since Apple no longer sells Leopard. I got to the point that I cant use my iPhone with my computer and can't upgrade browsers because Tiger is no longer supported. iPhone requires iTunes 10 which I can't upgrade to with Tiger.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I don't like purchasing anything used but I hardly have an option since Apple no longer sells Leopard. I got to the point that I cant use my iPhone with my computer and can't upgrade browsers because Tiger is no longer supported. iPhone requires iTunes 10 which I can't upgrade to with Tiger.

As "Buzzard2010" mentoned...is this 10.5 disc gray/silver or black?

This makes a BIG difference...since the gray/silver discs are model specific...and thus as you found out...don't work on your computer.

You also didn't mention your computer model (could be helpful).

- Nick

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
It is the black and purple disc with the big X in the center.

Thanks for that info. It would be good to know what the exact computer model you have? It may also help to know the exact OS version you're running.

Also (like toMACsh mentioned)...have you even tried to install OS 10.5 yet? Your original post makes it sound like you haven't tried yet.

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
That should work fine. Have you installed it already?

OP
P
Reaction score
I have a 2006 MacBook (Core Duo) with OS 10.4.11 with 512MB ram (i will upgrading that soon). I haven't gotten the Leopard disc yet. I am waiting for it in the mail.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I have a 2006 MacBook (Core Duo) with OS 10.4.11 with 512MB ram (i will upgrading that soon). I haven't gotten the Leopard disc yet. I am waiting for it in the mail.

It should work fine. Let us know how it goes.:)

- Nick

OP
P
Reaction score
Once I get Leopard, I will upgrade my RAM next month to 2GB (the max for this MacBook) and get Snow Leopard. I know I am WAY behind the times. I guess the message "you need to upgrade Safari," is a kick in the butt to do it. I am starting to get errors browsing the internet due to the browser being too old. I want a new MacBook Pro but I will have to wait on that due to the cost.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Once I get Leopard, I will upgrade my RAM next month to 2GB (the max for this MacBook) and get Snow Leopard. I know I am WAY behind the times. I guess the message "you need to upgrade Safari," is a kick in the butt to do it. I am starting to get errors browsing the internet due to the browser being too old. I want a new MacBook Pro but I will have to wait on that due to the cost.

Sounds like a plan...good luck.:)

- Nick

C

chas_m

Just FYI ... and you have probably figured this out by now ... but it's really less painful to keep the Mac up to par doing routine upgrades than it is to be in the catch-22 situation you find yourself in from waiting too long.

You certainly don't have to buy every new OS upgrade on the day it comes out or anything, but I have found that routinely expecting to keep certain key apps and the system as up-to-date as possible really pays off in terms of lack of aggravation (and more affordable spread-out costs) in the long run.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.