torrent

Reaction score
what torrent downloader should i use? I know it is unsafe to download torrents, but imma do it ne way, and want to know the safest and best option for me. bittorrent? miro? what do u suggest? And what should I do about trying to be safe about it? Like, download the torrent urn it to a disc then delete it immediately? I need to know what to do to keep my macbook safe. I have snow leopard 10.6.1 btw

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
If you're referring to downloading anything illegal...we don't discuss that here.

- Nick

OP
C
Reaction score
nothing illegal.... no copyright infringement or anything.... just simple torrent downloads and im not downloading anything illegal, im just concerned with malware n spyware with torrent files.... how to delete it malware and spyware n such..... just need some basic's....

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
If you're downloading legal torrents, simply get them from the source. If you stick with the original source, you should be fine.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
nothing illegal.... no copyright infringement or anything.... just simple torrent downloads and im not downloading anything illegal, im just concerned with malware n spyware with torrent files.... how to delete it malware and spyware n such..... just need some basic's....

If you're dealing with "legal" torrents...then there should be any issues with malware, spyware, etc. Since the manufacturer/developer of the software would be insuring this.

If you're dealing with "illegal" torrents...where someone is downloading applications that you're supposed to purchase yourself (not copies of apps. that someone else paid for)...then this is illegal...and we don't discuss that here.

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13in rMBP 2014 Yosemite
im surprised this thread lasted this far

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
im surprised this thread lasted this far

There are some legal torrents out there (although vastly out-numbered by illegal torrents)...so trying to be fair & open-minded that we are talking about legal torrents.

But again..the OP talking about a "torrent downloader" does elevate the "suspicion level".;)

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MacBook Pro (Late-2011), 2.4 GHz Core i7, 8GB RAM, 750GB HDD
There are a lot of larger files that are only available to download via torrent: Ubuntu builds and the South By Southwest (SXSW) music compilations are just a couple of examples. For legitimate torrents, I'd recommend uTorrent. For anything else, I'd recommend avoiding them at all costs...

OP
C
Reaction score
thankyou for that straight thru answer dnccloud... and not trying to discuss wether or not im suspicious.... its a forum guys!!!! I take yall's word on the advice you give about the ? I asked and go soley on your word, why cant yall trust mine in stating im not doing anything illegal... but yeah..... utorrent... what about miro? and is bittorrent a windows only file?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
... and not trying to discuss wether or not im suspicious.... its a forum guys!!!! I take yall's word on the advice you give about the ? I asked and go soley on your word, why cant yall trust mine in stating im not doing anything illegal...

Don't press the point...or the thread will be closed.

When it comes to "suspicious" topics (this being one of them)...we pretty much have a zero tolerance policy. Thanks for the cooperation.

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
Back to the OP's question.

I like using Transmission and for security in preferences if you check Ignore Unencrypted Peers you should be fine.

Cheers

Reaction score
Back to the OP's question.

I like using Transmission and for security in preferences if you check Ignore Unencrypted Peers you should be fine.

Cheers

I concur, I've used uTorrent plenty of times - I download a lot of music from bands like, well, Widespread Panic, that allow taping and e-trading of their shows. However, I have found Transmission to be easier to use, easier to manage security and downloading prefs, and a lot cleaner in design. (read: spartan)

:Smirk:

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.