Macbook running incredibly slow

Reaction score
Hey everyone. I am going to apologize in advance if this thread is a run-on of another, but I am at my wits end. I recently came back from a 9 month deployment overseas, in which i had taken my computer. As you would think, the WiFi in the Indian Ocean is sluggish...who knew? Well I was not able to update anything or really do anything with my Macbook besides charge my iPhone and iPod and all that.

Well, since I have returned my Macbook has never run the same. Whenever I boot my Mac, it will work fluently for about 1.5 minutes, and then BOOM. NOTHING. Just the "Load" symbol (spinning gear) and thats it. I do not run any memory extensive programs, I literally only run iTunes and Safari. I updated my Mac too all the most recent versions, and even recently installed Lion. The install went ok, but I still can't do a THING with my computer! I have taken it in to the geniuses and they just an some tests and determined my hardware is not the issue. Even now, I am writing this post from "Safe Mode" which is the only way that I can use my computer now.

Any and ALL support/information will be GREATLY appreciated. I have attached a basic overview of my system. And I am also using "MainMenu"

Thank you.

Untitled.png

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
rMBP 13 2.5GHz 121GB SSD
Why are you using MainMenu? What makes you think OS X needs 3rd party help to run maintenance scripts and keep itself optimized? I advise uninstalling it first of all.

OP
D
Reaction score
Why are you using MainMenu? What makes you think OS X needs 3rd party help to run maintenance scripts and keep itself optimized? I advise uninstalling it first of all.

The only reason I am using that is because my MacBook was running so slow. I downloaded that program yesterday, and it has been no help! I will uninstall it but that will have no effect on the machine.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
IMac 20" 2 GHZ 4MB, Macbook, Iphone, Ipod Touch
I have also been having the spinning beach ball problems a lot on my Imac, have 60GB of memory on the hard drive - also have 3 G drives in series on the Firewire port on the machine to back up photos and a single portable drive usb connection.

I see Mac Sweeper advertised, is this advisable to try and "clean" out the cobwebs?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
The only reason I am using that is because my MacBook was running so slow. I downloaded that program yesterday, and it has been no help! I will uninstall it but that will have no effect on the machine.

There's nothing wrong with running MainMenu or OnyX. They're both actually helpful to run once in awhile. Leave it be.

Open your Activity Monitor and see what else may be running or possibly eating up your CPU and slowing things down.

Another thing which can slow the machine down is a bad or flakey hard drive. Make sure you run Disk Utility from your install media and do a verify and repair on the hard drive.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.