Is this a fried video card?

Reaction score
Have a MacPro 1,1. Bought it used. It's got the original 7300 video card in it. It's been a very reliable computer... never really had a problem with it.

Went to wake it from sleep the other day and the screened looks like this picture. Restarted it, PRAM reset it, blew off dust and pulled out and put back in the 7300. No changes. Does this need a new card? I will take it in to Apple, but if there is consensus that it simply needs a new video card I can save myself some money and do it myself.

Cheers,

Mark

P1000094.JPG

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Have a MacPro 1,1. Bought it used. It's got the original 7300 video card in it. It's been a very reliable computer... never really had a problem with it.

You didn't really mention how long you've had this computer & how long it was working fine.

When someone mentions buying a used computer...many times they have a problem immediately...which would be totally related to an existing problem. So it helps to know how long you've had this computer...and how long it was working fine to get the proper perspective on the situation.

Went to wake it from sleep the other day and the screened looks like this picture. Restarted it, PRAM reset it, blew off dust and pulled out and put back in the 7300. No changes. Does this need a new card? I will take it in to Apple, but if there is consensus that it simply needs a new video card I can save myself some money and do it myself.

Hard to say if you need a new card:

- you could try removing the card...then reinserting it to see if that helps.
- to verify that it is...or is not the video card...having a 2nd "good" video card to swap out for the suspected "bad" card it about the only way for a home user to troubleshoot the problem.
- taking the computer to Apple may or may not be useful. This computer is between 3-5 years old...and in my experience going to the Apple Store...if a computer is more than 2-3 years old...sometimes the employees just look at you with a "blank stare" with the look like..."What...repair that dinosaur???";)

If the removing & reinstalling the video card doesn't work...and if you don't have a 2nd video card to test with...then taking it to the Apple Store may be your only option (hopefully it won't cost you too much for them to troubleshoot it). Another option is to purchase another "good" used 7300 video card off e-Bay.

HTH,

- Nick

OP
M
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. It was purchased in July 2007. I took possession around June 2008. So I've been using it for 3+ years with no performance issues. For awhile, it had an issue where it wouldn't fall asleep, but that solved itself about six months ago.

The only other thing I can think of that I've been doing differently is lately, I've been putting my whole cd collection into Itunes and also deleting a lot of old, and sometimes very big, video files.

But again, my suspicion is the video card. It starts up fine, makes the usual noises, the fan comes on, etc... Through this garbled screen I can make out the grey splash screen and the Apple spinning wheel, which loads ok. It's when the desktop comes on (hence the blue background -- my desktop is blue) that it seems to stop booting. I can make out the mouse through the screen but it doesn't move.

I will probably take into Computer Systems Centre here in Toronto tomorrow. They are an Apple service centre. From what I've read, they can pull out the video card and boot the computer through a second computer and see that it's working fine. I was just hoping that someone here would recognize the issue via the jpeg and say conclusively that yes, they've seen that before and it's the video card. I guess I'm just impatient!

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
The only other thing I can think of that I've been doing differently is lately, I've been putting my whole cd collection into Itunes and also deleting a lot of old, and sometimes very big, video files.

This shouldn't have caused a problem...unless some important files were accidentally deleted along with the video files.

I will probably take into Computer Systems Centre here in Toronto tomorrow. They are an Apple service centre. From what I've read, they can pull out the video card and boot the computer through a second computer and see that it's working fine.

Sounds like a great idea. Hopefully they won't charge too much to do the troubleshooting. I mention this because...a good used 7300 card sells for about $75-$100 US from e-Bay (not sure about Canada). What I'm basically saying is...if you're REALLY or pretty sure it's the video card...the cost to have it tested at the repair shop...may have paid for most of the purchase of a 2nd 7300 card.

I was just hoping that someone here would recognize the issue via the jpeg and say conclusively that yes, they've seen that before and it's the video card. I guess I'm just impatient!

Usually video problems are video hardware related...thus the photo does help a lot. But beyond that...doing the hardware testing is what really confirms the source of the issue.

If you do take it to the repair shop...please let us know how things turned out.:)

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
As Nick suggest Apple Hardware Test on disc one of the original system install discs, insert disc, reboot and hold down 'D'. Think you do have a failed graphics card if it is seated securely. Consider upgrading to a 8800GT but make sure you get the model suitable for a Mac Pro 1.1. They are to be found on eBay etc.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.