Safari Can't Connect Online ...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacPro 2.93 GHz - 10.6.8
Safari will no longer go online ... Just happened this morning. I tried rebooting the router many times. Also rebooted the Modem. Restarted my MacPro many times .... Trashed Safari and reinstalled fresh copy from Apple.

Safari still will not go online at all. Continue to get this error message:

"Safari can't connect to the server."

Safari can't open the page "http://www.google.com/" because Safari can't connect to the server "www.google.com".

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
What does Network say in System Preferences about connection? Is the Mac Pro actually connecting to the net and can you download emails? Modems and routers do die, particularly if you have experienced electrical storms of late.

OP
vja4Him
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacPro 2.93 GHz - 10.6.8
What does Network say in System Preferences about connection? Is the Mac Pro actually connecting to the net and can you download emails? Modems and routers do die, particularly if you have experienced electrical storms of late.

Evidently this problem was caused by a virus ...

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/3278007

I followed the instructions from the link in the above thread ... Problem solved! Safari is back to normal now.

To answer your questions: Network showed that I was connected to the Internet. My Archos tablet was connected to the Internet. My son's computer was also connected to the Internet (all through my Router).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Without looking it up it was not a virus, there are no Mac OS X viruses, but probably malware of some description. Anyone been downloading from dodgy sites by chance?

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Malware from a file that got downloaded and installed called FlashPlayer.Pkg. Glad you got it fixed.

OP
vja4Him
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacPro 2.93 GHz - 10.6.8

Malware from a file that got downloaded and installed called FlashPlayer.Pkg. Glad you got it fixed.

Yes, I remember now that had received a message telling me that my FlashPlayer was outdated and that I needed to download and install the most recent version, which I tried, but it didn't work ....

Guess I fell for the trap ....

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
Yes, I remember now that had received a message telling me that my FlashPlayer was outdated and that I needed to download and install the most recent version, which I tried, but it didn't work ....

Guess I fell for the trap ....

When prompted to update something a good rule is to go to the mfg.'s site
also visit several forums to check compatibility and performance issues.

OP
vja4Him
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacPro 2.93 GHz - 10.6.8
When prompted to update something a good rule is to go to the mfg.'s site
also visit several forums to check compatibility and performance issues.

I can see now that I will need to be more careful .....

OP
vja4Him
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacPro 2.93 GHz - 10.6.8
Safari is Off-Line Again ...

A few days ago Safari would no longer go online, so I deleted the com.apple.Safari.plist file, then relaunched Safari and it worked!

This morning, I launched Safari, and it would not go online. I opened up Firefox with no problem, which is where I'm posting this message from.

I've tried trashing the com.apple.Safari.plist several times this morning, then relaunching Safari, but it will still not go online.

Any other ideas of how to solve this issue ... ???

OP
vja4Him
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacPro 2.93 GHz - 10.6.8
A few days ago Safari would no longer go online, so I deleted the com.apple.Safari.plist file, then relaunched Safari and it worked!

This morning, I launched Safari, and it would not go online. I opened up Firefox with no problem, which is where I'm posting this message from.

I've tried trashing the com.apple.Safari.plist several times this morning, then relaunching Safari, but it will still not go online.

Any other ideas of how to solve this issue ... ???

I ran Disk Warrior but Safari will still not go online ....

Tried trashing the plist several more times, but that didn't do any good either.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.