Mac OS X

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Early 2008, 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 3 GB 800 MHz DDR2 SDRAM ATI Radeon HD 2400 XT 128 MB
EDIT: whoops, sorry for making the title MAC OS X.
My bad.

Hey guys,

Just signed up, after around a year of using mac forums as my main source of info for software problems, and I need some help.

I have an iMac that I use for work, and I also have a second account with parental controls enabled. I have had so many problems trying to get it to work like a normal Mac, so instead of listing a million threads, I thought to compile them into one.

1: When adding time to the account, when the window pops up asking you for more time, selecting "rest of the day" doesn't work. After I put in my admin password and username, it pops right back up again.

2: If I enable an application that is not allowed to be opened, it logs me out.

3: my lesser (one using the controlled account) was trying to start dabbling in Xcode. I installed it from the Mac app store, and had a hard time getting it to work. A window popped up asking for permission to allow some random application, and it was spazzing out. It was popping up again and again without me doing anything. I had to put my password in several times before it would work. I had to go through this with a few other applications, and then everything seemed fine. He went online and found some beginners tutorials on youtube, and soon had a small little calculator/counter thing made. He clicked run, and the build instantly failed, and yet more prompts for admin passwords came up. I enabled them all, and we clicked build again. It worked, and opened up the iPhone simulator, which asked me for even MORE admin passwords for random applications. One came up called springboard, and it wouldn't let me do "always allow", or it would just pop up again. I had to do allow once. THEN, finally, we were at a virtual iPhone screen. He clicked on his application, and it asked to allow it to open. I did my password thingy, then it seemed to open, but all that showed was a white screen.

4. When he uses the internet, every page he goes to including google.com, ask him to put in a admin password because the site has secure pages.

5. On both accounts, the computer lags greatly. I just installed lion two days ago, and the animations all lag for things like launchpad.

any help on anyone of these?

thanks a ton.

OP
AppleCider
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Early 2008, 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 3 GB 800 MHz DDR2 SDRAM ATI Radeon HD 2400 XT 128 MB
aw

No one? aw... :(

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
You need to wait more than 17 minutes for a response.

Try disabling parental controls to see if the issue is resolved. If it is, re-enable it but add restrictions to the account one at a time (add, login to check, add...) to see which one is causing you the most trouble.

OP
AppleCider
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
All it is is "limit applications". Everything works fine without it on.

It seems to be not only blocking actual applications, but those in the applications that are required for certain purposes.

OP
AppleCider
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sorry for bumping again, but I really need this resolved.

It didn't happen in snow leopard if that means anything to anyone.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
All it is is "limit applications". Everything works fine without it on.

It seems to be not only blocking actual applications, but those in the applications that are required for certain purposes.

I'm going from memory here, but I believe this is actually working as designed. First, you set the rule to limit applications. This then requires that you specify ONLY ALLOWED applications. As far as I know, Parental Controls is not smart enough to deduce which other processes are going to be called by the parent.

That said, the OTHER behavior is (IMO) unusual. Being logged out after entering your administrative password shouldn't happen. It should also allow you to 'always allow'.

I would create a NEW account, try the parental controls on that one and see if the results are identical. In addition, I would make sure that you have the 10.7.1 update applied to this machine. If all else fails, I'd do a clean install of the operating system (and to be honest, I'm not sure I'd use migration assistant to move the users back either, which would mean manual restore from backup, at least for me)

OP
AppleCider
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well... Thats not good. He was really looking forward to putting something out on the app store.

Its my work computer, so fresh install is out of the question at this point.
I think that Mac parental controls are really lacking in the bugginess section.

OP
AppleCider
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
SSL Sites?

All of the sudden, again in my parental controlled account, using google chrome is very hard, because every thirty seconds or so, I get a pop up saying:

Google Chrome attempted to access a secure website

Parental Controls restricts access to secure websites. To add this website to your approved list, click Add Website. To do this, you need an administrator password.

The site thats blocked is not a site, just an IP. So I allow it, and copy the IP to the browser. Then I get this:

{attached image below}.

any help on this one? He can barely use the internet now, and its only on Lion.

I'm very dissatisfied with Lion, its slowed down my computer, and caused lots of problems.

Screen Shot 2011-08-22 at 9.41.50 PM.png

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Did you prep the machine at all before you installed Lion? (i.e. run a backup, run routine maintenance, check/repair permissions, check/repair disk, use a tool to get all of your third party apps up-to-date, etc?).

If not, now would be a good time to do those things.

I can't speak to the parental controls issue as it's not something I use. But I agree that doing a clean install tends to work better than a straight upgrade. I found this to be the case with my own machine. I did choose to migrate my data/docs/settings/apps back in with the Migration Assistant using a Time Machine backup, and it was fine.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Sounds like you're just dissatisfied with Apple's Parental Controls in general (and by the way, let's keep it to one thread - we don't need two on the same topic, so I merged this into the last one).

Consider just turning it off and using something like K9 Web Protection. It's free and will appropriately restrict the Internet if that's all you're trying to do.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
No slow downs with Lion here. And if Chrome is giving you problems, switch to another browser. Safari, Firefox, Opera, your choice.

OP
AppleCider
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Same thing with all browsers. :(

I need it do restrict all the same things apple parental controls do. It worked like a charm in snow, it's this lion upgrade.

No, I joined this forum after installing lion, and I dint know maintenance was neccesary.

EDIT:

Ok, this is getting out of hand.

Ive been figeting around with the parental controlled account, and its impossible to use the internet without having a window pop up asking for permission to some random IP. So what I did, was I copied the IP, allowed access, and then pasted the IP to a new tab. I got a message saying that this could be a fake site and someone is trying to get me to visit a fake site. I click continue anyway, and it brings me to google homepage, except its says SSL beta. I click "back to normal" and it seems to work. Then after a while, the random IP's come back. I wish there was a way to turn off this feature, the one thats blocking it from accessing secure sites.

OP
AppleCider
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Deleted by me. Double post.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.