I don't have a back up for my computer where should I start?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac with OS X 10.11.2 -16GB memory
I don't have a back up system for my computer and I really need to start one.

I have an iMac desktop running Leopard . It plugs into the wall it is not a wireless.
I only have 3 USB ports and I use all three of them. One for the mouse; one for my printer and one for my scanner. I have to unplug the scanner to load pictures from my camera.

I checked the Apple Store on -line and they have an accessory called a "Time Machine". It appears to be a second hard drive that sits outside of the computer.
It does not state if it is just the hard drive or if the software to do the back up is included.
Is this what I need to back up my computer?

Since I only have 3 USB ports is there an accessory that will allow me to plug two devises into the same USB port?
I appreciate any advise on this !
Thanks
Barbara

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13in rMBP 2014 Yosemite
http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/sw...official-backup-faq-start-backing-up-now.html

Start there

There is a lot of info in there. I do not know anything on Leopard. Im sure there are similarities between what i use and what you use, but i would just be guessing.

Time machine is an app (program), it is on your iMac. you plug an external HD into one of the USB ports, access the TM app, it will walk you through the setting up process.

But, for more information read over the link at the top.

As for only having 3 ports, there are tons of products out there that allow you to increase your number of ports. I myself have a gizmo plugged into this iMac that only serves one purpose. It has 4 USB ports, and does not require a power source. I normally have 4 ports, plugged the gizmo into one and bang, 7 USB ports.

I bought it at walmart for 6 bucks or so. The name on it is targus. You could find them on ebay with out any doubt in my mind.

But there is tons of info in the first link.

GL

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Helps if we know what model iMac and if it is an Intel model as most PowerPC G5 Macs will not boot from an external USB drive. Is there a Firewire connector at all on your iMac? If so an external case with Firewire and a HDD installed could be the way to go. As a suggestion clone your system to the external using SuperDuper and this will be bootable. Time Machine is not bootable.

If you wish to use an USB hub make sure you get a mains powered model as it may well draw too much power from your iMac.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2015 27" iMac, 3.3ghz, M395 gpu, 2tb Fusion, 8gb
If you are on Leopard, just plug the drive into a USB port. Go to Preferences and turn on Time Machine under the System line. Time machine will take care of the rest. This was Apple's vision on backups, that you don't need to do much to make them happen. It is included on Leopard, nothing else to buy. Time Machine saved me a lot of trouble when replacing my hard drive.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13in rMBP 2014 Yosemite
I'm pretty sure she doesn't have an external drive.

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
Hi Barbara

There's much great advice, eg, from Ttaylor and I have added my piece on your previous thread.

From all the info you've given us and from my interpretation of your computer needs, I'd say that Time Machine would be adequate in your case. True, it's not bootable; but I get the impression that what you want is a non-fussy, leave me alone solution which works quietly in the background?

TM does this.

Firstly, you need to buy an Ext Hard Drive (EHD) which I advise should match or exceed the capacity of your Int Hard Drive, whatever that is.

Don't but from Apple. They are OTT expensive. Outlets like OWC have a large range of affordable EHDs. In your case, it will have to be USB connected from what you say and this reduces the cost further.

When you get your EHD, I would advise that you connect it (by USB) directly to your Mac rather than through a Hub.

Instead, buy an inexpensive USB Hub from which you can safely run your Mouse, Keyboard and Printer. I prefer powered Hubs because, as the name suggests, they take power from the mains rather than just from your Mac.

Thus, you would use one USB port for TM; one for the Hub and that leaves one free — for example to connect a phone etc to iTunes.

At the end of all this, connect your EHD via USB. Then, you may need to enter Disc Utility and format the EHD for Mac (journaled) if it does not come Mac formatted from the supplier. (Ask if you need help with this).

Then enter TM through Preferences and choose your EHD and follow the instructions.

Ian

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.