Reinstall of Snow Leopard with disk

Reaction score
Hello,

I am selling my Macbook Pro. I was running Snow Leopard on it. I erased my disk and used the original installation disks that came with the computer to install the OS, which was Leopard at time of purchase.

It will be quite a pain for the new owner to be able to upgrade to Lion if they wish as they will have to buy Snow Leopard first, install it, and then buy Lion and download and install it. I would like to install and upgrade to the latest Snow Leopard before selling the laptop.

However, I don't have the original install disks. We had a family package for our lab and we can't locate the original disks. Is there anything I can do without the disks? Do I need to purchase Snow Leopard myself?

Thanks!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Just purchase another copy of Snow Leopard. Since it only costs $29 at any Apple store or Best Buy, it should be easy enough to pick up a copy and include it with the sale.

OP
K
Reaction score
I went to the Apple store in Emeryville to buy Snow Leopard and they said you can only buy it online. And we checked in store and the delivery time for Snow Leopard is 2-3 weeks.

I have read that you can buy a usb version of Lion from the Apple Store for $70. Is this true?

I would like the person buying my computer to not have to deal with any of this crap. Unfortunately, my Ebay auction ends in 2 days.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
First, we do not discuss any kind of illegal activity in these forums.

You should be able to buy a copy of Snow Leopard from Best Buy. Have you checked with them? And yes, Apple is now selling Lion on a USB flash drive for $70.

OP
K
Reaction score
I removed the questionable portion of my comment. Thanks for reminding me to not do that.

I will check around to see if I can buy a copy at a Best Buy. And I will check again with Apple Store if I can upgrade with a USB directly from Leopard. I am wondering why they didn't mention that option to me.

Thanks for the tips.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
mbp 15 2009, mbp 13 2010
Since you mentioned selling on ebay with your mac, why not buy SL from
Ebay yourself and install it yourself or mention to the buyer if he/she can
buy SL from ebay or apple store/best buy, so you can reimburse the buyer.
The end result is the buyer will get hold of a sl and something will work out,
I believe, I am sure ebay has some good deal on SL and I have confidence in
buying sl from ebay. Good luck.
Also sl is the stepping stone to lion, to make life easier you can also download lion
to the macbook you want to sell, after installing the sl.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.