LION - disk utility not working

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP 8GB, iPad 64 WiFi & 3G, IP4, Airport Extreme
MacBook Pro 15-inch, Mid 2009 (FRESH BUILD)

Newly installed Snow Leopard from apple restoration disk. Then installed Lion from app store. Restored apps from TimeMachine backup.

Trying to created a Hackintosh USB drive. (Please don't sway from topic - important fact is I can no longer create a USB image using Disk Utility)

Let me also say that I've created plenty of USB disk in the past SO I KNOW HOW DISK UTILITY WORKS.

Steps to create USB image:
  1. Partitioning the USB drive.
  2. Drag the .dmg file to the Source
  3. Drag the USB drive to the Destination
The Lion Disk Utility wants to then scan the Source before making the image. After I type my admin password I continue to get a message, "Unable to scan [volume Media]." (Resource busy)

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
What do you mean by "Hackintosh USB drive"?

If you're attempting to load OS X onto a USB drive in order to "live" boot to it from non-Apple hardware, there is no support for Hackintoshes here.

OP
WebMystic
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Please replay if you understand the post.

This is not about hackintosh - BUT AS STATED IN ORIGINAL POST - it's about Lion Disk Utility.

Has anyone had trouble trying to create a USB image using Lion Disk Utility?

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
You've already made this part of the "topic" by introducing "Hackintosh USB drive" into the scope of what you're wanting to do.

Bottom line... No, I have had not trouble creating a bootable image. Have done so with the Lion installation dmg from a machine running Lion and have used it to install Lion on another machine.

OP
WebMystic
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I don't want to get into an argument with you. The topic is, "lion - disk Utility not working." you read what you wanted.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
And with a "Pirate Flag" as an avatar, you expect us to believe what you're attempting to do is legal? I read it the same way as my colleague did.

Thread closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.