10.7.1 Missing Desktop

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP SR 2.2Ghz 15.4" LED
I just installed the 10.7.1 upgrade and now I am missing everything on my desktop. I have no icons and no menu bar at the top after startup.

When I clock on the Finder icon in the Dock it does not open. It seems the Finder is crashing and relaunching and recrashing over and over again in the background.

In the Activity Monitor, there is an application called ReportCrash which is taking up 100% of the CPU and forcing the fans of the computer to run at 6000RPM.

I also created another account and logged in and I don't seem to have any issue with any other account except for the main Administrator account. It seems I have a corrupted file or some file that is holding up Finder from completing the normal startup procedures.

After searching for the answer, it doesn't seem like anyone else is having this issue with 10.7.1, I know this upgrade is new but I also can't find a Known Issue log with this upgrade as well.

Anyone have this issue or solution to this issue? Any help would be great.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
OP
yellow19man
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP SR 2.2Ghz 15.4" LED
I believe I am in safe mode now but I do not have access to the Finder and cannot pull up the Disk Utility application. Is there any other way of pulling up the Disk Utility application other than going into the Finder folder?

OP
yellow19man
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP SR 2.2Ghz 15.4" LED
I just reinstalled OSX Lion and I am still having the same issue.

Any thoughts?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
At this point, no other suggestions except do a clean install of Lion. Make sure you back everything up first.

OP
yellow19man
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP SR 2.2Ghz 15.4" LED
I know it seems like the only option is a clean install.

BUT...did anyone experience this after installing 10.7.1 through the software update option? Just hoping as time passes and more people update more people will encounter this issue and hopefully a solution is found.

Thanks to all who helped out.

OP
yellow19man
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP SR 2.2Ghz 15.4" LED
SOLVED

I downloaded Onyx and ran every feature and some how my problem was solved. Download Onyx and run all the features and hopefully it solves your issue before doing a clean reinstall.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.