Lion 10.7 vs 10.7.1 Performance

Reaction score
I upgraded my iMac and my son's MacBook Pro immediately when Lion was released. In both cases, I felt that the computers were more sluggish. I noticed more spinning beach balls and longer application start times (particularly Word and Excel) compared to Snow Leopard.

I am new to the Mac world, so wrote it off to my lack of experience on the platform. Maybe I was just imagining that Lion was slower.

Then, yesterday, I upgraded both to 10.7.1. Now, both computers are MUCH snappier. It was not my imagination. Overall responsiveness is much improved with 10.7.1.

Any others have such experience?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
I upgraded my iMac and my son's MacBook Pro immediately when Lion was released. In both cases, I felt that the computers were more sluggish. I noticed more spinning beach balls and longer application start times (particularly Word and Excel) compared to Snow Leopard.

I am new to the Mac world, so wrote it off to my lack of experience on the platform. Maybe I was just imagining that Lion was slower.

Then, yesterday, I upgraded both to 10.7.1. Now, both computers are MUCH snappier. It was not my imagination. Overall responsiveness is much improved with 10.7.1.

What are the specs of your Mac? I and many others here have actually found Lion to be snappier than Snow Leopard since day 1, but the same experience won't be had if you meet the bare minimum requirements. Of course 10.7.1 was put out to squash a few bugs that may have impacted some people but not others.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3

You mentioned Word & Excel are you running Windows in a VM with a small amount of ram ?

OP
J
Reaction score
My iMac is a 3.6ghz dual core i5 with 12gb or RAM. My son's MBP is a base 13" dual core, I believe 2.4ghz (or so) with 4gb of RAM.

The iMac is well above min specs. Again, the new 10.7.1 update has been a major improvement and now I would say Lion is snappier than SL. I was just surprised by the poorer performance initially.

My son noticed the better performance too, and I hadn't even told him I had updated his.

As for Word and Excel, they are Mac Office 2011, no VMs running.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Surprising. Lion in both formats run extremely fast. Big step up from Snow and Plain Leopard.

OP
J
Reaction score
It is interesting that people are having mixed performance results. By and large, most people are happy with the upgrade and its speed. My experience does seem like the exception, but I am thrilled now!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Early 2008, 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 3 GB 800 MHz DDR2 SDRAM ATI Radeon HD 2400 XT 128 MB
Yes, my Mac was lagging something horrible, to the point where things like launch pad weren't even animating, but I JUST upgraded to 10.7.1, and its running slick and smooth.

OP
J
Reaction score
Yes, my Mac was lagging something horrible, to the point where things like launch pad weren't even animating, but I JUST upgraded to 10.7.1, and its running slick and smooth.

Good news. And at least this helps to confirm it was not my imagination!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Early 2008, 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 3 GB 800 MHz DDR2 SDRAM ATI Radeon HD 2400 XT 128 MB
Yes, thanks again for suggesting that. It helped me out a lot. I was thinking to go back to snow before I read your comment, and gave it a go.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.8 GHz i7 MBA 11" OSX 10.8.2
I ran a geekbench benchmark on a MBA 5652 on 10.7 vs 5821 with 10.7.1 - not a massive increase but it is more than normal noise for that benchmark.

I've also seen my score drop a little on another MBP going from SL to Lion. I haven't tried the benchmark on that computer since going to 10.7.1 but I bet it is closer to the SL score now.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.