Oh dear

Reaction score
Ok here's the deal..I have a powerbook G4..yes it's old but so am I. It can do much much less than I want or need it to.(I am also a Scot and we have a thrifty reputation!)Is there any way of upgrading the G4 to any decent functional mac. Was thinking mac mini..could this be used in tandem with powerbook using screen, keyboard etc?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
Its a myth that Scots are that tight, probably spread by Yorkshiremen ;)

A mac mini would be a much better fit, and to save pennies you could get a new one from the Apple refurb store - you save money and still get a full warranty.

Check out John Lewis as well, they often have sales and last time I looked they offered 2 year warranty. There's also ebay.

As for using the screen, it can be done but you would have to purchase a cable and some software to use the G4 as a screen.

Mid size lcd monitors are pretty inexpensive, so I would use the money you have saved from buying from the refurb store to get a flat screen monitor.

There is only an mini server on the refurb store at the mo, but keep an eye on there if you want a new mac, but make a saving

Refurbished Mac - Apple Store (UK)

OP
R
Reaction score
thanks for reply. reason for using screen etc would be to save on space. already have a pc/monitor etc from your know where...big and soft! would like to keep powerbook and thought mini not too bulky addition.what kind of cable and software would i need? thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
ScreenRecycler

there you go, you would also need a cable which will depend on the model of mac mini you buy and the port used by the G4, there is a trial version of the software so you can try it out

EDIT: no need for a cable, it uses the network to create a second screen, so all you need is a wireless network or ethernet cable

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.