I can't burn a disc

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac with OS X 10.11.2 -16GB memory
I have had my Mac for 3 years, but I never tried to burn a disc until tonight
I followed the directions in my "Mac OS X 10.5 Leopard" book.
I created a burn folder. Dragged the file to it and inserted the disc.
I double clicked on the Burn Folder icon and named the disc.
When I click the burn button it started and then I got a prompt that said

" Disc can't be burned because the devise failed to calibrate the laser power for this media"

I had insert a new CD-RW disk . I checked in my Systems Profiler and it says this type of disk can be burned.
Does this mean I did something wrong or that my computer needs repair?

Thank you
Barbara

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
It sounds like your optical drive doesn't like that type of media. Or the built in burning capability doesn't like it. Try another program to burn the disk first before going any further.

Download the free "Burn" program from here. Let us know if it works for you.

OP
B
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I downloaded the Burn program you suggested. I tried to burn the disc with that and I got the same message as above It failed .
I am using Sony CD-RW discs

I just checked and a DVD I inserted plays fine. I also have a few old CD's that I burned when I had a PC and those open fine.
I have never run a cleaning disc. I used one on my DVD player some time ago. . Should I try that? If so, do you recommend the dry or wet cleaning disc? I have to buy one so I may as well get the right one.
Barbara

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
It must be the disks then. However, you can try cleaning the drive but the only thing I recommend is one of those compressed air cans. You should be able to buy one at any local store that sells computer accessories. Blow a couple of short blasts of air in the drive slot. If the lens is dusty or dirty that will clean it off.

But I really suspect it's the type of media. RW disks (any brand) are not the best to burn to anyway. Buy some CD+R or CD-R disks instead and try them. Or even a DVD+R or DVD-R would be OK. The erasable disks (RW) have given me problems in the past even on my older Windows computers.

OP
B
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I have a couple of unused Maxell CD-R discs. I just used one to burn a file and it worked!! Thanks!!

If I use CD-R then I will need to burn each file individually because I can't add to a file , correct?

My files are digital clip art . I have a file for each category and add to those master files . So if I have 22 bird images in a master file called Birds then I will need to burn each bird image individually . Is this correct?

Thanks Again!!
Barbara

C

chas_m

I was going to say "sounds like schmootz in the optical drive" and suggest a quick spritz with compressed air. Sounds like you fixed the issue, but I don't follow what you're talking about "burn each image individually." Can you clarify?

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
Hi Barbara

I don't quite understand your last question either.

Do you mean that you want to burn data to your CD or DVD incrementally? That is, burn data today, then tomorrow, add more data to the same CD/DVD?

Or, are you wondering if you can burn one or more folders of, say, 22 birds at one sitting?

If the latter, there is no problem. You can burn as many folders containing as much material as you wish on to one CD/DVD within the storage capability of the CD/DVD. One way of doing this is to create a "Burn" Folder and drag & drop everything you want into it, sort out the various folders & their content and when you're ready to go; Click on "Burn".

Please come back to us if I'm way off mark or you need more help.

Ian

OP
B
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
When I had a PC I used CD-RW to save files.
As I added things to a file I could re-save it and the new additions would be on the disc too. It writes over the older version of the file.

Most of my files are clip art. And as I acquire more images I save them in the appropriate file on my computer.

For example I have a file called birds and when I acquire a new image I save it in that file. Today I could save that entire file to a CD-R, but when I acquire new images I can't add them to the file that I save to the disc, I would need to save additions individually on that disc . They can still be saved to the master file on my computer.

I have limited knowledge of computers. Perhaps I am misunderstanding this .
Thank you

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
OK. What you're trying to accomplish is what is commonly known as multi-session recording. The application I advised you to download, "Burn" supports multi-sessions. Choose the option which states leaving the disk open and being able to append it.

Be careful, however. Make sure you have a backup of all your images in case you accidentally overwrite the entire CD. Also, as a note of information - multi-session recording is not supported for DVD media in OS X. You can only do it with CD media.

OP
B
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Backing up my computer is another thing I need to learn to do. Right now I don't have a back up system :[

I will start a new thread for that question

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
Hi Barbara

I don't know whether you need to start up a new thread or not; but in my short experience, the easiest and possibly most complete backup option is to use Time Machine (TM).

What you need is an External Hard Drive (EHD) preferably of higher storage capacity than your Mac Internal Hard Drive (IHD).

This can be connected to your Mac by USB (slowest) or Firewire 800 (much quicker).

From Preferences, choose TM. Then "Select Disc". Navigate to your EHD and choose it as your TM backup.

The first time, it will take a while as TM backs up all your settings, applications, folders - the lot. It then automatically backs up on an hourly basis for 24 hours, then daily for a month etc. You need do nothing as it does this automatically.

If required, you can enter TM and restore a deleted email, folder, image - or, at worst, you can restore your whole system.

We are here to help and I have to say, the Forum has assisted me through many difficulties in the past. None of us is a complete expert.

Ian

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
And be aware if this is your iMac, computers with slot loaders have a very high failure rate compared to tray drives. And read your other post about using cloning software rather than Time Machine which is not bootable on an external drive.

OP
B
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
My iMac has a slot for the DVD/CD on the side of the Computer. I didn't know they had a tray DVD/CD on a desk top model.

I am a bit confused on a back up system.
I checked in System Preferences and I have an icon for "Time Machine" When I clicked on it, it asked me to choose a Back up disc

I looked at the on-line Apple Store site and they have numerous external hard drives, but only 2 that say Time Machine. Both of these say they are wireless.
Can I use one of the stand alone hard drives shown on the site with Time Machine? If I buy one of those what else do I need?
Here are the choices:
http://store.apple.com/us/browse/home/shop_mac/mac_accessories/storage?mco=MjMwMzAyMDk

I am not set up for Wireless and I am not sure I want to do that. I am not computer savvy and I don't know how to configure things so no one can see the content of my computer. I have read that people can see their neighbors computer content if the neighbor did not make it secure.

I am so diligent about security that I have had Intego AV since I bought my computer. That was long before any hacker considering hacking any Apple product.
Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Desktop models such as the PowerMac G5 and the Mac Pro have tray loaders, unfortunately iMacs have slot loaders and that is where a lot of the problems occur. Have a look through the threads and see the number of MacBooks and iMacs with dodgy optical drives.

Before selecting the external decide what you are to use it for. If you want your full operating system to be backed up and bootable go with a Firewire case and a SATA 3.5" hard drive. If you only want to back up with bTime Machine, which is not bootable, a USB 2.0 would suffice.

Overall there are much cheaper ways to go rather than buying through Apple. Have a look at OWC for instance. Here are prices for an external case and hard drive starting at $88 for a Firewire and USB 2 combined case complete with a 250GB hard drive.:-

http://eshop.macsales.com/shop/hard-drives/external/elite-al-pro-quad

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.