So the new beast arrived but email probs

Reaction score
Well, the new 27" iMac arrived this morning and I've been playing with it for most of the day - getting used to OSX faster than I though I might, too! I'm not a TOTAL newbie (I have a MAcbook Pro) but haven't done a lot with OSX until today.

I do have on specific problem though; I have several email accounts and those at the bottom of the list fail most of the time - that is, they don't collect the mail. If I access them one at a time, everything is ok... but this is not really convenient - I need it to download as reliably as Outlook. I'm trying to stay with Apple kit but unless there's a work round for this problem, I might well have to get MSO installed...

Anybody else found this problem and how to get round it?

Any advice/help will be gratefully received!

Terence

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro (2019) 3.3 ghz 12-Core 96GB mem Vega Pro II
I have four email accounts and they all receive fine. Don't have any suggestions for the problem as you describe it.

OP
T
Reaction score
Hmm... I have 16! On the Macbook Pro I only use 6 and I get no problems at all.

M

MacInWin

16!? That's a LOT of mail addresses. Do any of them offer redirection? If so, have them redirect the mail to one that is working well for you.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
I have 6 and they all check the same time and all work. Something is going on but not sure what. How many are being checked at the samt time?

OP
T
Reaction score
They are all from different sites I run... it looks as if all are checking but only 10 get the mail. I have my own server, so I might set some of them to fwd to a different box. WHile I'm here, is there any way to increase the font size in the 'reply to' pane? My eyes are too old to easily see it the way it is!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
25" iMac 3.06 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo iPhone 4
Have you looked at the Preferences panel in Mail? Go to Fonts and Colors and you should be able to make e-mails a lot easier to read. Go play with the various options and see how that works for you.

OP
T
Reaction score
Thank you - definitely helped! I don't want to send emails with large fonts, really - and it's just the size of font in the reply pane that has been causing the problem. Anyway - I've increased it a tad and it is certainly easier.

I'm still very new to the Mac but beginning to discover already why ppl don't often switch back to Windows!

Thanks again.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MacBook Pro (Late-2011), 2.4 GHz Core i7, 8GB RAM, 750GB HDD
If the email accounts that you're having issues with are from your ISP, then I'd contact them for assistance. There could be something in the POP and/or IMAP settings that you've missed. Also, if you receive a lot of attachments in one or more of the accounts, that could also be preventing the other accounts from downloading their mail, as those attachments would be effectively taking all of the bandwidth.

OP
T
Reaction score
Well, it seems there's a limit of about 10 addresses that can be handled in one go... I've used redirects on some of them and got it down to 10 and all works ok now. It was always accessing 10 accounts though not the same 10 each time and it was the ones closest to the bottom of the list that tended to get left. It was happening whether or not there were actually any messages to download.

Steadily getting to grips with OSX - a bit strange in places (to me) but overall enjoying the new machine.

Thanks for your reply!

C

chas_m

Yes, I think what was happening there was that you have so many email accounts that some of them were hitting OS X's rather short "timeout" during the handshaking process. A faster connection might help with that; it would be nice if you could "stagger" when multiple email addresses check for mail a bit so that they don't all try to do it at once.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.