Mac OS 10.3.9 Issues

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
500 MHz PowerPC G3 (PowerMac); 512 MB SDRAM
Hi everyone,

I recently received a PowerMac [500 MHz PowerPC G3]. I'm testing it out, since this is my first Mac before I decide to "go Mac" and get a better model.

I have a few issues:
1. Safari crashes anytime I try to access YouTube or any related site.
2. When trying to install a ".dmg" file; an error shows up claiming: "unable to mount" or something along those line.

Any suggestions as to what I should do?

I was thinking about tweaking the BOM files (maybe?) to see if I could use Mozilla firefox or Chrome as one of my default browsers.

Like I said...this is a completely new territory for me.

Thanks,
Shawn

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini 14.3, 8.1 & 4.1, OS 13.5, 10.14, & 10.11 & 10.6; Macbook Pro 8.2, OS 10.12.
My G3 600 iMac is now unused, but I offer the following:
1. You should reinstall Panther OS if you can lay your hands on a retail version of it (black label, with the serial no 2Z691-xxxx-A [Z indicates the international version]
2. You should then visit the Apple site to download sequential updates to take your iMac to OS 10.3.9.

Your iMac was issued with OS 9.1, but I wouldn't recommend returning to that. It was nice but ..........

To the problems you're experiencing:
1. Safari crashing could be due to incompatible version - although that's a bit left-field. There could be missing libraries, scripts etc. Your iMac appears to have sufficient RAM to operate most Apple apps.
2. Disk Image Mounter may be missing from the OS.
Both the above may be cured by a fresh install of Panther OS.

Try a low-demand browser like Camino, from Mozilla, to see it that will work with your G3. [I used Camino for years, until recently in fact, and still use it occasionally.]

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black MacBook 2.2GHz C2D, 4GB Ram - iMac G4 700MHz, 512MB Ram
Try a low-demand browser like Camino, from Mozilla, to see it that will work with your G3. [I used Camino for years, until recently in fact, and still use it occasionally.]

+1 for Camino. I run it on my iMac G3 500MHz and it's a great little browser. It's still supported on old OS's like yours and shouldn't crash like Safari.

OP
S
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
500 MHz PowerPC G3 (PowerMac); 512 MB SDRAM
Thank you guys. I'll look into this and let you know what happens. :D

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.