iMovie '11 File Formats

Reaction score
Hello,

My desired outcome is knowing exactly which file formats work to import into iMovie '11, and which don't.

I haven't been able to find simple, definitive information on this - it seems quite multi-faceted - for example:

• I have found Apple - iLife '11 Help - iMovie '11 Supported Cameras - where I see that AVCHD, H.264, iFrame, MJPEG, M-PEG2, M-PEG4 are supported file formats directly from recording devices.
  • There seem to be other variables, such as the source its imported from - under the help topics, there is importing from a camera archive, a camcorder, a camera, a movie file, etc.
  • I have read that some people can import .mov, and some can't - I'm not sure on the deciding factor.
  • I have read that the method of importing also creates variables - whether its through iPhoto or not, for example.
I am looking for some definitive answers for predictable results, or at least to know which is predictable, and which is not.

I will have a variety of recording devices coming in with a variety of file formats to collect - and then I want to be able to store them, edit them, and create edited version to display.

Any feedback on file formats for importing into iMovie '11, or places to look for more info, is greatly appreciated.

C

chas_m

Learning the difference between a "container" and a "codec" will probably clear up the mystery.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 2.5 GHz Intel Core i5
Hi Chas

I read your essay which as a newcomer to Macs I found very helpful - thanks

However I'm having problems playing videos from my Panasonic Lumix TZ10 camera which are in AVCHD format. I tried the three programs you suggested but I don't think that either Flip4mac or Perian will play AVCHD and the picture produced by VLC was completely unacceptable in that it provided no motion as such, merely a stuttering transfer from one still frame to another

Although I find it extraordinary that after some years a switched on company like Apple still hasn't produced built in software necessary to play AVCHD videos on a Mac I'm resigned to having to either buy or find free software to convert the format to something that will play on my shiny new iMac

Can you tell me what would be best as a starter and if there will be a deterioration in quality if I were to do this? The pictures were pretty sharp on my old PC

I'm pretty green about it and just want to play videos and in time may graduate to editing them

Chris

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PPC Mini, 10.4.11. Intel Mini, 10.6.8. MacBook Pro, 10.14.6. M1 MBA 11.6.3 iPhone 5 iOS 12.5,
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hi MightyGem

Many thanks for your reply. I had found the string before but I had given up on some of the early tech language. I have now persevered and some of the later stuff seems more straightforward so I will gird up my loins and have a go tomorrow when I will feel stronger!

Chris

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I tried VLC again for playing my AVCHD files before proceeding down the rather daunting technical route and it worked, albeit without sound, but I can live with that, so I'll leave it for the time being but I have emailed Panasonic asking them what they are proposing to do about it! In the unlikely event of receiving a reply I'll post it here

Chris

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21.5 iMac 3.06 ghz 12gb ram 500g HD iPad 2 16G
I have a Panasonic ZS# that has the same AVCHD file structure...pull out the card...put it in a reader...open iMovie...click import video...let'em import...plays and edits the video just fine for me.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks, that sounds brilliant - what have I been worrying about! My problem was that all my videos were historic ie had been downloaded to my old PC ages ago. This will be the dawning of a new Mac age! It's getting better all the time!

Chris

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.