Finder requires password to delete any file from Macintosh HD

Reaction score
If I try to delete any file from any folder inside Macintosh HD, it prompts me for my password. I've repaired my disk in Disk Utility, no problems. I disabled the password to see if that would help as a temporary solution, but it still prompts for the password (I just have to hit enter to delete the file now, still, annoying). Also, when attempting to view the trash it displays no information and I can not empty it, nor force empty. When running Lion Cache Cleaner it says I have 5 items in my trash, totaling 0 KB. I'm running Mac OS X 10.7.1 on a 2011 iMac. This has been occurring since updating to Lion, from Snow Leopard, I believe.

Upload.png

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Did you make any kind of backup prior to updating from Snow Leopard to Lion? Used Time Machine perhaps? Have you tried to repair disk permissions?
If not, try that first. You may have to boot to the recovery partition before you can repair disk permissions or use your Snow Leopard DVD to boot with and run the repair disk permissions from Disk Utility.

OP
Y
Reaction score
No, I did not make a backup prior to updating from Snow Leopard to Lion. I currently am using a Time Machine daily backup. When I try to repair disk permissions in Disk Utility, the "permissions" area is grayed out while verifying disk is not.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
You have to boot from disk in order to properly repair the disk permissions. Try it that way.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Are you running Lion Server or Lion?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.