Please let it not be my logicboard...

Reaction score
First time poster here, desperate for advice. I have an aluminum, 15" MacBook Pro, Intel Core Duo, running OS X 10.6.8.

Back in June I started getting error messages at random about a USB device being disabled for drawing too much power, even though nearly all of the time there would be nothing plugged in except power. Sometimes it would happen while I was typing, sometimes it would pop up during complete inactivity, and sometimes it would layer up to 10 of the frikkin' things all at once. Tho it was annoying, it didn't seem like a major problem.

Then the Snow Leopard update happened. It was fine for a couple of weeks, then it started not waking up and restarting instead, or forcing me to make it restart. Sometimes when I'd shut the lid, I'd hear the apple start-up chime even while it was closed. Once, it even shut down while I was actively using it.

I took it to the apple store, told them about the USB thing, then the sleep issue after the update. Dude-buddy tells me it's my logicboard, the repairs would cost me $310, and since my MBP was of such venerable age (5 years) Apple was on the brink of no longer supporting repairs for it's generation. And I thought the US government was bad...

I take it home to think about the situation, and get the idea to disable the sleep feature. Now the problem isn't happening anymore, tho the USB issue is still there.

Is it really my logicboard, or was dude-buddy just trying to scare me into buying a new computer? Is there anyone out there with lower repair rates? I depend on this computer for work, and don't have the money he quoted.

Thanks in advance for any help!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
The price you were quoted by the Apple tech is really a good flat rate price which you will find hard to get anywhere else. You can of course shop around since your machine is long out of warranty, however, if it is the logic board (and it sounds like it is) $310 is going to be hard to beat.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
As "chscag" mentioned...$310 is actually a pretty good price for a Macintosh laptop logic board replacement. If it's a bad USB port issue...there's really not a simple way to just replace the port itself or the specific circuitry involved...that's why the whole logic board needs to be replaced.

Also consider this. If you have a 5 year-old MacBook Pro (Core Duo)...it's definitely one of the early models...and at this point is probably only worth around $400-$500. So depending on your financial situation...spending $310 to repair a $400-$500 computer may or may not be be worth it.

Good luck,

- Nick

Reaction score
Time to get rid of that old Computer. You should be upgrading every 3-4 years anyways.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Some folks can't afford to upgrade every 3 or 4 years. Besides, if the machine still does what you want it to do, then it remains useful. I have an old Toshiba Satellite notebook circa 2003 that I still bang away on sometimes. Still does what I want it to do in Windows.....

OP
M
Reaction score
Thank you for the responses! If that repair is the going rate, then it looks like I have to wait until I've saved enough for it. As Nick said, I hate to spend $310 on a machine that's only worth $500, but I just don't have the money to replace it. The repair rate would especially be worth it if I could get another couple of years work out of it, do you think that's feasible?

I'm wondering if I have another option: would it be possible to find a replacement logic board? Does anyone know the model number board that's in the MacBook Pro 1,1?

As far as upgrading every 3 to 4 years, I wish I were one of the lucky few who could afford that luxury in this economy.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I'm wondering if I have another option: would it be possible to find a replacement logic board? Does anyone know the model number board that's in the MacBook Pro 1,1?

Don't even think about it. You'll just run into more problems replacing the board yourself and may actually wind up costing you even more. Your best option in my opinion is let the experts do the job for the $310 they quoted.

As far as getting a couple of more years from the machine, well, you never know... but I would take a chance if you can't afford a new MBP.

OP
M
Reaction score
Thank you for the advice, chscag and Nick. It looks like I'm going to have to save for the repair, and hope my computer lasts until then.

Tears2040, here are some excuses for you: Medical bills from lack of insurance, family emergencies, student loans, car repairs, other profession-related gear, unemployment, and the continued pursuit of a career in the arts, which is the thing I want more than anything out of life. I couldn't even afford this computer new, I bought it used from my sister two years ago. I hope your children are thankful for having a parent with a steady job who can support them and still save money in the current economy.

~Marisa

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.