Solid Black Squares Appear Randomly

Reaction score
They seem to appear on things that I'm working on and they stay until I switch windows. There's one now, sitting right next to the text box that I'm typing this in. When I scroll the window up and down, it breaks into rectangles and other rectangles appear and disappear. When I stop scrolling and start typing, they freeze and stay where they were.

These are not boxes around text from Voice Over. They are solid and random.... and the shapes, while rectangular, are also random.

The machine is running sluggishly and phantom windows have just started appearing. I drag a window across the screens and a copy stays behind. Then it breaks up as I move other stuff across it.

I'm on a Dual 2 GHz PowerPC G5 Tower running 10.5.8. I've changed the hard drive and they're still here.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I'm going to say as a guess here.... that your graphics card is acting up. However, there are members who are more familiar with G5 machines than I am. Hopefully one of them will offer some good advice. Hang on for a bit.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air mid-2013 4GB, and other machines
1) Stop taking LSD

2) You have found the aliens!

3) You have found the aliens; they are taking LSD

4) Or, your graphics card is bad. I had that on a G5 I bought, did a bunch of PRAM reset blah blah, no good, returned the machine.

OP
R
Reaction score
Thanks chscag and Mr. Unit. I've ordered a new video card... which, after a little research, seems to be a pretty common upgrade on these machines. I appreciate the help!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.