Lion not playing Blu-Ray discs (not movies, but storage)

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
A red laser DVD player cannot read a BD (Blu-ray Disc).

You may have burned stuff from the B-R onto a standard DVD and have it readable in a DVD player, but I've never heard of any red laser player that could read a BD.

OP
B
Reaction score
DO NOT CLOSE THREAD! THIS IS ABOUT PERSONAL CONTENT, NOT ILLEGAL RIPS. READ THOROUGHLY....

I stored a bunch of DOCUMENTS & PERSONAL FLIP CAMERA HOME MOVIES and such on blu-ray discs because of the larger storage capacity, but ever since I upgraded from Snow Leopard to Lion, I can't get it to even read the discs, but instead it just spits right back out.

I don't have a blu-ray drive installed on my Macbook Pro, yet was able to play the discs on the computer's internal drive because it wasn't written in blu-ray format, but in standard format, just saved on a blu-ray disc. So, if I saved documents or even a standard movie, I could get it to play from the computer's drive. I just hate the inconvenience of having to pull out and plug in the external drive, which means my mobility is also limited.

Is there something I need to install for it to read again?

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Well, they have now since all posts were basically the same info.

There still is no way for a red laser to read a BD. Never has been on any OS that I'm aware of.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.