Messages missing from Inbox

Reaction score
I have just made the change from pc to iMac, and have a problem with "Mail". I receive some emails, which go to my Inbox. I read them. Then I close "Mail" and do something else. When I reopen Mail, my Inbox is empty: the messages have disappeared. Any messages in "Sent" stay there. What's happening, and how can I stop my messages disappearing?

OP
H
Reaction score
I have just made the change from pc to iMac, and have a problem with "Mail". I receive some emails, which go to my Inbox. I read them. Then I close "Mail" and do something else. When I reopen Mail, my Inbox is empty: the messages have disappeared. Any messages in "Sent" stay there. What's happening, and how can I stop my messages disappearing? Both Applecare and BT Internet helplines are stumped...each are blaming the other.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Which ISP are you using for Mail? And, is your email setup as POP or IMAP?

OP
H
Reaction score
My ISP is BTinternet.com; my Incoming Mail Server is imap.mail.yahoo.com. Does that answer your question? Sorry - I'm a novice at this...

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I'm not sure how Yahoo handles IMAP but it could be that once the messages are read they're removed. Can you access your Yahoo IMAP account on line and check to see if your email messages are still there on the server?

I know with my GMail account I can do the same but prefer rather to leave messages intact even after being read.

Also, make sure you open your Mail preferences and check "Accounts", "Mailbox Behaviors" and "Advanced" tabs to see if the options are set correctly.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
Check your trash in mail and see if they are there.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
@Hoverstop

Please do not cross post. Post only to one forum and reply back to the same thread. I moved your cross post here and merged it where it belongs.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.