Lion and Auto log in problem

Reaction score
I've recently got a new mac, installed Lion etc

I don't have an account password nor a master password as I am the only person using the computer so therefore don't require one. I have it set up to automatically log me which until recently it has done no problem.

But every so often when I turn on my computer the apple logo comes up for a while and then there is a progress bar that lasts for around 20-30 secs and then it loads up the log in screen with my account name and space to put my password in.

Obviously I don't have a password so if I just hit enter it loads up my desktop however it doesn't load properly for example my internet won't work and it will say there is no wireless hardware installed. As soon as I restart it it loads up with no problems what so ever.

It does this 1 in 2 times of loading up my system, any ideas why? It's getting slightly annoying!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Automatic login is not recommended even if you're the only user on the machine. However, if you would rather have it that way and it's not working right, open System Preferences, Security & Privacy, click the small lock at the bottom, and check each entry making sure it's correct.

You really should have a master administrator password though. That protects you against something being installed that's not wanted.

OP
N
Reaction score
Automatic login is not recommended even if you're the only user on the machine. However, if you would rather have it that way and it's not working right, open System Preferences, Security & Privacy, click the small lock at the bottom, and check each entry making sure it's correct.

You really should have a master administrator password though. That protects you against something being installed that's not wanted.

Right so I have checked every single setting and everything is set up as it should be, as I said it even worked half of the time, it was the just the other half it would come up with the log in screen but that wasn't the main problem once it doesn't really work for example as I said it says there is no wireless hardware installed etc so I have to restart and then it loads straight onto the desktop as it should.

The problem is getting worse now and every time I turn the computer on it is doing it, I'm getting majorly annoyed with it now.

I have set a master password as you suggested however.

Please help me someone, it can't just be me this is happening to?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Let's try this to see if we can isolate the problem:

Create another user for the machine. Give the new user Admin rights and assign a password. You can even use the same password as before. Log on the machine as the new user. Keep logging on that way and observe if any of the previous issues that you had are occurring again. If it seems that everything is OK, it's possible your old user account is corrupt.

Post back the results and we'll go from there.

OP
N
Reaction score
Let's try this to see if we can isolate the problem:

Create another user for the machine. Give the new user Admin rights and assign a password. You can even use the same password as before. Log on the machine as the new user. Keep logging on that way and observe if any of the previous issues that you had are occurring again. If it seems that everything is OK, it's possible your old user account is corrupt.

Post back the results and we'll go from there.

Will give this a go tomorrow and report back! Thanks

OP
N
Reaction score
Well I created a new account and it is still do this, however it hasn't done it all week until today!

Basically when it works the apple logo comes up then a small circle swirl appears and then it loads up the desktop all in under 40 secs.

When it's not working the apple logo comes up but then it stays like that for 10 or so secs and then an actual progress bar appears underneath it which then starts loading for about 30 secs, when it's loaded it loads up the log in screen where I can put my password (I have set up an account password as suggested) when I enter this it takes about 15 secs to respond then it loads up the desktop however the wireless hardware says it's not installed so I then have to restart it but once I do this it loads perfectly as it should!

It's driving me crazy!!!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Currently 13" Late 2010 MBA, 4GB/128GB; Early 2011 13" MBP, dual core i7 2.7ghz, 4gb ram, 500gb hd
Out of curiosity, have you upgraded Lion to 10.7.1, which was released this past week? It is designed to address a number of issues in the OS, and may address the behavior you're seeing. If it's not available through Software Update, you can download it directly from Apple's support pages.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
It's beginning to sound like the airport card in that machine is flakey. The symptom you describe makes it suspect. If it's doing the same thing with a new account, we can eliminate account corruption or software.

You said the machine was new. I'm assuming therefore it's still under warranty? You might wish to make an appointment with Apple and take it on in and have them diagnose it for you. If it is a bad airport card, they'll change it out.

OP
N
Reaction score
Out of curiosity, have you upgraded Lion to 10.7.1, which was released this past week? It is designed to address a number of issues in the OS, and may address the behavior you're seeing. If it's not available through Software Update, you can download it directly from Apple's support pages.

I hadn't realised this had been released so will download and install when I get back from work

Reaction score
Me too!

I've had exactly the same problem as described here, and I'm glad to have finally found someone else experiencing the same thing!

I bought a new 27" iMac two weeks ago with Lion pre-installed. I used migration assistant to transfer everything off of my old iMac (took about 10 hours!) and to start with it worked perfectly. But now I'm getting the same occasional delay on startup, followed by the apple logo & progress bar, which then leads to the grey background and logon screen. When you type the password it goes into the desktop but some features are disabled - could be internet one time, could be certain add-ons the next, then it won't play any sound at all, or won't print. When it happened yesterday the desktop icons had all be shifted onto the right hand side. If I restart at that point then everything becomes fine again.

I run MS Remote Desktop Connection and I notice when I try to run that program a message comes up saying that it thinks it's the first time it's been run on the machine, and asks if I do want to open it.

I've run all updates, the machine is bang up to date. It seems to do this on Airport and on ethernet.

Any more ideas are welcome!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.