OS X Lion Random Desktop Reorganize

Reaction score
I updated my 27" iMac i7 to Lion a few weeks ago. I use the computer the majority of the day and then shut it down each night. Every few days or so when I turn on the computer Lion has reorganized all of the folders on my desktop to the right side of the screen. I have reviewed all of the auto sort functions and have disable everything.

The strange thing is that it only happens every few days. Most times it works just fine.

Any ideas?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21.5" iMac i5 2.9 Ghz, 15" MBPro i7 2.0 Ghz, iPhone 5, iPhone 4s, ATV2, ATV3, iPad2, iPad Mini
I have had the same experience.
I have not been able to explain it, but if I was guessing it might have something to do with Lion being to "restore" the windows you had open when you start it again.

It sure is strange.

DavidH

OP
I
Reaction score
I think you are right on Lion trying to "restore" a previous session. I think this because there is usually an application open that was part of a previous session when my folders are reorganized.

I guess be sure all programs are completely shut down before you click "Shut Down" and see if it ever does it again. I am usually really good about this but it is possible when I'm in a hurry I just shut down without manually closing all applications.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2013 MBP 15" I7 2.3 Ghz 16 GB Ram 500 GB SSD Retina
Maybe I do have a bug. I have the same thing that only happens now and again but it is only 1 icon that moves. It always moves the same spot as well. Really strange. It's reminds me of my old windows machine. It did the same thing. Ouch that's not a good thing.

OP
I
Reaction score
Well we've had a single update and I have been very good about closing all applications before shutting down but just had this issue again today. I can not figure out a reason why this is happening. It doesn't happen for any rhyme or reason; it just happens on occasion and I'd really like it to stop.

Has anyone had a similar experience or know of a solution?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2013 MBP 15" I7 2.3 Ghz 16 GB Ram 500 GB SSD Retina
It has only happened to me a few times. Once it was all icons the second and third time it was only 1 icon. It has not happened in the past couple of weeks. Not sure what the deal is but I'm not sweating it simply because it has not happened in while. I know that it was on a restart that it happened. Not shutting down and restarting the computer but actually on a restart. My Win 7 setup used to do the same thing.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.