Wire question

Reaction score
Hello group:
I hope I've posted this in the correct forum.
I would like to use a iomega mini 1tb external hard drive to use with my mac mini for the time machine application. My mini is a couple of years old with the 400 firewire port. Which wire should I get to connect the two? Also, I'm wondering if I could partition this external HD and use it as my primary drive as well since I am quickly running out of space on my 120g internal drive.
If any of my nomenclature is incorrect, please feel free to correct me as I am not very computer literate.
Thanks,
Mark

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Currently 13" Late 2010 MBA, 4GB/128GB; Early 2011 13" MBP, dual core i7 2.7ghz, 4gb ram, 500gb hd
Not certain about the hard drive itself, but if it's the one I saw when I googled the description, it appears to only have a FireWire 800 port. If so, you would need a 400/800 cable, or a 6-pin to 9-pin. Available at Monoprice for about $5.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.