Mac OS Lion and 'About This Mac'

Reaction score
Hi there
I've just updated to OS 10.7.1, and I just happened to look at 'about this mac'.
I've not looked at this since the Lion update a few weeks ago, and I said to my husband "ooh look, there's a different layout"
Anyhoo, I clicked on More Info/Storage and there's a nice little coloured bar telling you where/how your disk space is allocated.
For some reason I can see 52gb of Backups.
I back up to Time Machine and there shouldn't be anything 'backed up' on the laptop.
My husband has an iMac and he hasn't got anything 'backed up'.
Any ideas please?
I've got Parallels and wondered if that might be it?
But OH uses Boot Camp and as I say he has nothing - and of course we both have Windoze installed. (I only use it for a few HOG games that I can't get for the mac) ;-)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 17"
I think it is to give you some degree of backup if you are on the road and not connected to time machine.

OP
M
Reaction score
I have got rid of it. Is it still happening to you then, even after typing the disable command in Terminal?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
It's easy enough to resolve.... When disconnecting your Time Machine external drive for any reason (away from home or whatever) just open Time Machine preferences and turn Automatic Backups off. Problem solved. Just don't forget to turn them back on when you connect the drive and wish to make a backup.

Reaction score
I have got rid of it. Is it still happening to you then, even after typing the disable command in Terminal?

if you put the first command you're good but if you turn it back on in terminal it starts to do it again I mean its a cool feature I would like to keep it on but it just doesn't work right

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.