iTunes Back-Up HELP!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 15" i5. 4GB, 2.4Ghz, 320GB. Mid 2010
Hi,

I'm new to mac. I need to back-up my iTunes purchases and movies with a DVD disc. How do I do this? I have a DVD disc in front of me but I don't know how I'm going to do this. I tried looking at the Apple.com/support but I still don't get it. I can't find File > Library but I don't see it and I don't know where to see it. Anyways, how do I do this? LOL I feel stupid.:|

C

chas_m

Backing up to a DVD disc is better than not backing up at all, but I wouldn't call it practical. DVDs don't hold much data -- 4.7GB per disc -- so you won't be able to get many songs or movies on a disc.

Is there some particular reason you can't simply backup the entire iTunes Library folder (which is in your Music folder) to an external hard drive? Is there some reason you're not using Time Machine to do this already?

OP
C
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
HOw do i do it though? I can't find "back up to dvd disc" anywhere

OP
C
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I have tried doing it with my external hard drive but I'm having trouble. I figured if I tried with dvd disc would be better.

C

chas_m

Can you be more specific about what exactly you're having trouble with? Can you answer the question about Time Machine please?

OP
C
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I'm not doing time machine because my sister and i are going to share the same external hard drive. so I'm not doing it for the iTunes back up on it either.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27-inch 2020 iMac; 3.8GHz 8-core Intel Core i7 processor; 32GB RAM; Radeon Pro 5500 XT; 2 TB SSD
As an FYI, Apple removed the option to back up your songs, etc. to DVD in iTunes 10.4. See this link for details.

Mark

OP
C
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
How do I back up with my external hard drive then?

C

chas_m

Time Machine will take care of this (and backing up everything else) automatically for you. Just plug an external hard drive in, Time Machine will ask if you want to use it for backup, you do, and ... well, that's it!

It will back up your entire hard drive first, then once an hour will back up any changes made. Automatically. You need do nothing else. Your iTunes and everything else on your hard drive will be automatically and continuously backed up.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.