networking

B

brody

i just set up a wireless network with two win xp machines and my powerbook.
can anyone clue me in on how to set up the powerbook on the network? i just want to share files. i'm running jaguar, but soon to install panther. will anything change with panther? thanks

OP
W

wilfried

brody said:
i just set up a wireless network with two win xp machines and my powerbook.
can anyone clue me in on how to set up the powerbook on the network? i just want to share files. i'm running jaguar, but soon to install panther. will anything change with panther? thanks

I am not an expert but I got my first mac last night and networked it with Windows XP so I'll tell you what I did.

On Windows XP:

Turn on Files and Printers sharing for Microsoft neworks.
Select the folders/printers you want to share, right click, enable sharing.

On the Mac:

In system pref/Networks enable "Windows sharing".
If your workgroup name is not the default "WORKGROUP" you will need to change it on the Mac. To do so, search the mac help for "workgroup".

Now in Finder press "Apple Key" + K That will bring up the Connect to server window. Type in smb://xxx.xxx.xx.x (you're PC IP) Enter your windows user/password.

On the PC side, the mac should come up in the network neighb. window. If not type in your mac IP as well.

I had to reboot both computers to have it work right.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.0ghz 15" Core Duo MBP
wilfried said:
I am not an expert but I got my first mac last night and networked it with Windows XP so I'll tell you what I did.

On Windows XP:

Turn on Files and Printers sharing for Microsoft neworks.
Select the folders/printers you want to share, right click, enable sharing.

On the Mac:

In system pref/Networks enable "Windows sharing".
If your workgroup name is not the default "WORKGROUP" you will need to change it on the Mac. To do so, search the mac help for "workgroup".

Now in Finder press "Apple Key" + K That will bring up the Connect to server window. Type in smb://xxx.xxx.xx.x (you're PC IP) Enter your windows user/password.

On the PC side, the mac should come up in the network neighb. window. If not type in your mac IP as well.

I had to reboot both computers to have it work right.

Eh... I can only get as far as having the mac access my pc files. For the life of me though, I cannot get windows to access my mac shares. I've tried everything, but nothing works.

Anyway suggestions? On the mac, i'm using an airport wireless card to connect to a wireless belking router. I have mac address filtering on and both machines are included in the list. I have Windows Sharing as well as personal file sharing enabled on the mac.

On the winxp box, I have disabled simple file sharing and have already designated the shares of my choice. This machine is connected to my router w/ a cat5 and is all setup.

I'm truly at a loss as to why I can't access my mac from the pc.

When I double click on the mac (Ibookisha) in my network neighborhood, it prompts me for a user name and password. I enter them and then the stupid username and password field will popup up asking for me to enter the password again. (Only this time, it has added the windows computer name <7vkml\> to the user name.

I've tried changing the computer name to the mac name <Ibookisha> and have tried entering both my username and password as well as my root user name and password.

I thought permissions might be the problem... eh... i'm weak in this area... even in Linux, after changing my permissions, they'd seem to set themselves right back... i ran the os x disk utilty and had it correct all permissions on my drive....

I'm afraid, one again, that i'm truly at a loss. If anyone can help, it'd be appreciated. If you need more details, lemme know. I should be able to tell you whatever you needed.

OP
T

TylerMoney

go into system preferences..under sharing...then turn on personal file sharing and windows sharing...then you should be good to go....that is as long as both you xp machines are set up to share.....

OP
T

TylerMoney

Well. I was going to say something I thought might help. but then I read all the posts all the way through...and found that the post I originally left..well...It wasnt' going to do any good. I haven't had any problems with my network stuff...aside from my printer going insaine when I tried to print from my powerbook over the network to my pc's hp printer.....

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.