NTFS-3G help

Reaction score
Hi there,

Today I bought a Samsung M2 external hard drive. I want to use it to watch films on my Samsung TV, so I wanted to keep the drive in its original file system (it showed "NTFS-3G mac fuse" when first getinfo'd it).
I have copied some files onto it and now I cannot delete anything from it upon connecting to my Mac. I getinfo'd it again, and it shows it is NTFS and now I only have right to read the drive.
I wanted to re-format the drive to NTFS-3G (to be able to edit it again) but I don't have that option in the list in disk utility's volume format list any more (only MS-DOS FAT and 4 different Mac OS Extended formats, but no NTFS 3G).

Please someone help me. I want the drive to be editable on my Mac and readable by the TV. I thought NTFS 3G is the solution, but it disappeared from my Macbook's disk utility after copying a couple of files. I puzzled :\

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Did you uninstall NTFS-3G in the meanwhile?

NTFS is a file system format.

NTFS-3G is not a file system format. NTFS-3G is an application that allows OS X to write to the NTFS file system.

If you want pretty much hassle free reading/writing to a NTFS drive, I would encourage you to pony up the $20 and get Paragon's NTFS for Mac instead of the couple of freebie apps out there.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
NTFS-3G is not a file system format, NTFS is. NTFS-3G is a driver by Tuxera. I have no idea why the Samsung drive was identified as NTFS-3G unless you have that particular driver installed.

The NTFS file format is read only by Mac OS X unless a proper driver is installed to render it read and write.

OP
Chakotay
Reaction score
Thank you both. Restarted the computer and the "write and read" option came back. Not sure what happened before...
Anyway I have installed Paragon's NTFS, hoping it will be more stable than NTFS-3G.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
"Anything" is more stable than NTFS-3G. :) Good move on buying Paragon NTFS. It works.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.