Iphone 3gs Repair Options

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2019, 2.4GHz i9, 64Gb Ram, AMD Radeon Pro 5500M 8Gb, 2Tb SSD
Hi there
Me and my dad got an iphone 3gs each at the same time off ebay. His phone though has broke and because its out of warranty he just contacted 02 and got a new contract for an iphone 4.

Anyhow the problem with the old phone is The left side of the screen is dead, it wont respond to touch, somtimes it does it slightly, but its just not useable, and ive done the restore but its not going right.

I need to have the phone fixed, but im not sure where or how to get it fixed, any advice here.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP Core i7 2.66 500GB 15" - Mac mini Core i5 2.5 500GB - Iphone 4 32GB - 32GB Ipad 2
OP
F
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
thanks for the link
i watched a youtube video for doing a digitizer replacement, i dont like the idea of taking off the glass and changing the frame, even though a new digitizer is only about £12 over here. Im afraid of dust getting between the lcd and glass.

But then i had a look on ebay, how does this look:
Full Front Screen Replacement Digitizer LCD iPhone 3GS | eBay
cheating a bit i know but it removes the hard part, changing this isnt too bad.
what do you think, would it be any different from a genuine apple part which i dont see on ebay.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP Core i7 2.66 500GB 15" - Mac mini Core i5 2.5 500GB - Iphone 4 32GB - 32GB Ipad 2
The link you provided seems like a good way to go. As a side note, you will never be able to find apple endorsed OEM replacement parts on the internet because apple does not condone DIY fixes to their products. But in my experience i haven't noticed a difference between replacement parts and the parts apple uses. Good luck!

Cheers

OP
F
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i see
that seems a bit unfair not supplying replacement parts, but at least someone does.
Do these replacement parts have the right sort of backlight and resolution? I changed my old Nokia N96s screen a few years back and the screen i had didnt have any adjustment of the brightness it just stayed on fully bright.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Peugeot,

I've never encountered problems with backlight or resolution when using replacement parts

OP
F
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
It was only on my old nokia i had the problem but i sent the screen back and got a good one. Although i had a similar problem on a Nintendo DS i fixed for my aunt but i believe that was a problem with the circuit board rather than the new display.

I ordered the new screen though i went for a seller with 100% feedback, i took the old front out there very easy (though as i did it just flew inbetween the lcd and glass, ill get the iphone to the airline tommorow to blow out all the dust if there is any, so when the new screen comes there will be no risk of it.
And hopefully that will solve the problem, i can try and sell the phone.

OP
F
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
got a new screen off ebay there.
but i looked at it and the gasket round the edge is warped looking and the two prongs for the home button are bent flat. I put it into the phone the screen works but the home button doesnt, and the gasket doesnt sit flush.
I think this will have to go back.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
The link you provided seems like a good way to go. As a side note, you will never be able to find apple endorsed OEM replacement parts on the internet because apple does not condone DIY fixes to their products. But in my experience i haven't noticed a difference between replacement parts and the parts apple uses. Good luck!

Cheers

That's a new one to me. Sure, you'll invalidate the warranty if you're not Apple-certified and doing a repair, but as far as I know, Apple could care less whether you repair your own products. I would think if they had a problem with it, sites like ifixit.com and powerbookmedic.com probably wouldn't exist.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thats unfortunate you were sent a bad replacement, the two prongs for the home button shouldn't be a big deal, you can bend them back, but the warped bezel is no good and warrants a return.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
That's a new one to me. Sure, you'll invalidate the warranty if you're not Apple-certified and doing a repair, but as far as I know, Apple could care less whether you repair your own products. I would think if they had a problem with it, sites like ifixit.com and powerbookmedic.com probably wouldn't exist.

That's exactly my point...also apple obviously has bigger fish to fry than the DIY apple fixit sites, in most cases its not worth their time.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.