is my new imac a refurb (other emails in place)

Reaction score
I bought a new imac thru the apple store configured it custom etc yet when i started to set things up i noticed there were email addresses for sign in at itunes and another place (cant recall where) but saw two different emails entered as default (not examples those were to the right [email protected]) these were user names one was even a yahoo.com email.

Strange too cuz from setup it appeared i was starting and setting up a new mac till i got to parts like itunes where someone else's email addy was in the box yet i had not even been there previously.

Would be pretty mad to find out I got a refurb sold as new, but being my first mac and all who knows figured i should ask here first...

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
I got a refurb iMac and even that didn't have anyone's information in there..it started up like any new Mac would and I had to go through and enter all my information in all the apps..

I got mine from Apple online..your in store purchase should've gotten you a new boxed iMac..

Apart from the e-mail addresses, what else do you see that seems off?

OP
F
Reaction score
that has been it so far, actually started up saw the welcome stuff and had to do all the new user stuff as if it was day one new, I didn't see other emails or anything odd till i started to really poke around and opened itunes and the mac email app, those two had 2 different emails, wrote them down even emailed one (it didn't bounce but no reply yet), just seems very odd to get a new computer (paid a fortune for it too), yet to see other emails in places I haven't even been yet.

Not as easy as a return quick process either as I had installed windows via bootcamp on it already (oem version tied to this motherboard) so at this point waiting to hear back from my small business mac rep on it (emailed him the situation)....

Bill :(

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I would suggest calling Apple. Explain the situation:

- what you found that makes you think that this computer was owned by someone else.
- and the software installs you already did...and the hassle it will be to get things worked out.

Maybe they will be flexible (Apple can be very flexible sometimes)...and refund you the difference between the "new" price you paid...and the refurbished price.

If this truly was a refurbished computer...no worries...refurbished computers are basically like new. But if you found some previous persons info on it...you certainly should not have paid a brand new price for it.

HTH,

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
If it is refurbished, the serial number will commence with the letter RM for re-manufactured. otherwise it is possible it was set up for display in an Apple store and someone has used it. Either way let them know you are not happy with your 'new' purchase.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21.5 iMac 3.06 ghz 12gb ram 500g HD iPad 2 16G
This is the second instance of this I've seen posted in the last 10 days or so...Pretty bush league if it's legitimate.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.